• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Comparison Autotrace between Graphic Tracer/PowerTrace/Vector Magic

sardocs

I agree with Bob, the only portion of this particular image I might need to use vector tracing for is the runner. On a real job i would just draw it.The rest of the design is a basic quick layout. I only put up the trace result in the first place because of Player asking.

matsl

I get the same results from both the tiny jpeg as the png. The small jpeg image is the one used in the video.
I realize that sardocs must have been using the bigger image otherwise the trace would have been much worse from Corel.
The Mac version is under development but is not available yet.
To make things clear, I am a software engineer working with the development of Graphic Tracer.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I would like to see some real world comparisons. I am on a Mac and have no way of testing the software. Much like printer companies that showcase their print output at tradeshows using perfectly color corrected images I think it would be interesting to see what customers are really producing with this software. Also, all of the test files shown in their youtube/vimeo videos show graphics/fonts that are replaced using freely available fonts. The software won't be able to provide a correct font replacement for commercial fonts that you don't own? Am I correct in assuming that it does not search pirate/illegal font sites?

And even better would be to overlay the resulting vector over a watermarked version of the original to see how good a job it does. It is very easy to trick the mind into thinking an autotrace is correct because you are not really seeing a true comparison unless the result is superimposed over the starting image. I often get files that are already autotraced and are asked to clean them up. They look ok zoomed out but as soon as you zoom in the poor quality becomes more evident especially when I can compare it to the original artwork that they autotraced.

Here I did a quick tracing of the guy's head on that graphic. As Bob mentioned there is no intuition from autotrace software yet. Notice how I more accurately traced the nose, mouth, lips, chin etc yet all of the details on the 3 autotrace files simplify and remove details from low res graphics. The hand has also been simplifed into something resembling a mitten and no finger details are retained.

I'm sure it can be a very useful program but about 90% of the files that are sent to me on a daily basis would not trace well using any automated software. I try to produce very high quality vector files and my customers are expecting more accuracy than what can be achieved through automation.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-03 at 7.44.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-03 at 7.44.02 PM.png
    324.8 KB · Views: 504

ikarasu

Agree with vector doctor here.

Especially showing the guys face... You lose so much detail doing it with an auto trace compared to his result.

It's be interesting to see the finished files also.

When I auto trace via vector magic... It does weird stuff. The image looks OK, but it's got a lot of overlaps and stuff it doesn't need, which makes editing a pain. I try to do everything by hand these days, even if auto trace is good... It's a good way to learn and perfect the skills. Plus... I know how the file is made, I don't have 3-5 overlapping circles for.some reason.

equippaint

Vector Dr pointed out exactly why you can't replace hand tracing. If you're reproducing a customers logo, how can you justify butchering it up to save a few minutes? For stuff that needs proper detail (I cant think of much that doesn't), cleaning up an auto trace takes more time than doing it from scratch.
I'd like to see how clean the GT file is and if a million unnecessary nodes get created.

matsl

Here is the logo with the nodes showing so that you can see that it would not take long at all to clean up any parts that you want.
The texts are created from the actual font which is automatically identified by Graphic Tracer.
upload_2018-9-4_8-34-46.png

matsl

Graphic Tracer will provide you with a good trace from most images but the best part is the ability to identify fonts and replacing bitmap texts with the actual font.
This works even if the text is distorted:
upload_2018-9-4_9-17-41.png

The identified font is drawn on top of your text and with a click the traced text becomes perfect. It takes two minutes to get a perfect original from this logo.

WildWestDesigns

Vector Dr pointed out exactly why you can't replace hand tracing. If you're reproducing a customers logo, how can you justify butchering it up to save a few minutes? For stuff that needs proper detail (I cant think of much that doesn't), cleaning up an auto trace takes more time than doing it from scratch. I'd like to see how clean the GT file is and if a million unnecessary nodes get created.

There is a passage from Tony White's book that points out this problem as well. Now, this book is about traditional and digital animation and the shared techniques between them (as a cartoonist, I also like to do animation as well), but I think it is appropriate for any type of trade that you are in that is especially going through the analog to digital transformation:

Tony White said:
It is so easy to buy short-cut software that both speeds up the filmmaking process and reduces production costs at the expense of artistic expertise and dexterity. Investors are reminded that in the early days of animations, the studios that went for short-term benefits were the ones that lost out in the long term.

Again, while it's talking about animation (particularly 2D and keep in mind, this particular book I think was written in 2005, so it's been awhile even from that standpoint), I can apply it to embroidery digitizing or even here to vector tracing. He doesn't say not to do it, but not to rely on it as the only thing that you are able to do.