• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Compensation for weekend work?

Colin

I think most of us would agree that for us self-employed individuals, holidays are few and far between, and therefore weekends have a certain treasured value to us as time off. I also think that Monday to Friday is normal working hours for most any trade, including sign shops. So I'd like your opinion on what would be a reasonable extra fee for the following:

A customer who is a plumber gets a new Transit van and asks me to design it all up for lettering, which all goes well with approval. After a couple of cancellation dates for installation, he asks me if I can do it on a weekend day, because he's just too busy during the week to let me have the van for a day, (and of course it turns out to be a nice, sunny weekend after a long winter).

So what would you charge extra to sacrifice your Saturday, as I did? (My hours are stated as Mon-Fri 9:00-4:30).

Looking forward to your feedback.

signage

Ask the plumber what he charges to install a new drain for your kitchen, then ask him how much if he did it on a Saturday.
I would agree at least +50%

TimToad

It just seemed odd that he views his time as valuable, but not mine.

You've been at this plenty long enough to know the answer to that one. I base it on how much we value the client, how much work they send our way each year, how much of a PITA they are during our interactions.

25-50% does not seem out of line.

Now about those banker hours you're working. It's really hard to empathize with your dilemma when you're not even open for 8 hours on a daily basis. Your client be looking at that also.

Colin

Now about those banker hours you're working. It's really hard to empathize with your dilemma when you're not even open for 8 hours on a daily basis. Your client be looking at that also.

The reality is that as the business owner, I'm usually in the shop 1-3 hours before opening, and often after closing time, so it's perplexing that a mere 30 minutes shy of 8 hours "open time" is enough to have you think that.

Johnny Best

I think Billct2 has the good answer with the +50% additional. He is a plumber and will understand. You always need a plumber on a weekend or after hours it seems.

TimToad

The reality is that as the business owner, I'm usually in the shop 1-3 hours before opening, and often after closing time, so it's perplexing that a mere 30 minutes shy of 8 hours "open time" is enough to have you think that.
You and me both, and forgive any misperception based on lack of information. No offense intended, but I've been at this nearly 40 years and have seen and worked for plenty of unmotivated, lazy, unreliable, short sighted "business owners" whose smartest move ever is to hire folks like me and you.

I have a competitor two blocks away who surfs during his day, is never parked out front or back except the exact hours that are stated on their door and I'd have a heart attack if I ever saw him there on a weekend while I'm here pushing the rock up the hill.

Baz

2 man shop here. My set business hours are Monday to Friday 8:30 to 5:00.

In reality ... My employee opens the shop at 8:30 and i get in a hour later. I usually spend 12 to 14 hours in the shop from Monday to Thursday. Friday i finish around 6.
Saturday usually in the shop for 4 to 6 hours and work a couple of hours from home on a laptop.

I have worked crazy hours for valuable clients. Finishing way past midnight in some cases. Fortunately it doesn't happen often.
I don't really charge extra but there is no arguing with my quote if you're making me work out of regular business hours.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Colin,
weekends are a social construct. You need to upgrade your calendar to a organic, metric, day-neutral planner.
We have to get back to our roots - hunter-gatherers never had the weekends off.....
may.jpg

CanuckSigns

You and me both, and forgive any misperception based on lack of information. No offense intended, but I've been at this nearly 40 years and have seen and worked for plenty of unmotivated, lazy, unreliable, short sighted "business owners" whose smartest move ever is to hire folks like me and you.

I have a competitor two blocks away who surfs during his day, is never parked out front or back except the exact hours that are stated on their door and I'd have a heart attack if I ever saw him there on a weekend while I'm here pushing the rock up the hill.
Sounds like you need to either hire someone or work on your time management. We are open Monday -friday from 9-5. I couldn't tell you the last time I was working outside those times, I have 2 small kids at home and value my time off very much, I don't want to miss bedtime and playtime just so some guy can forget to pickup his sign on the day he told me he needed it.

We have enough business to keep us busy during work hours and are able to turn down work that doesn't mesh with our schedule, so I count myself lucky.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Charge what you feel you want to come in on a weekend. I work 55-65 hours during the weekdays and I almost never work weekends... If someone wants something on my valuable weekend they must pay big time. If your single or don't have kids and don't mind weekend work, I could see just doing it.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Being retired all days pretty much are the same. I work in the shop whenever there's work to do. Regardless of what day it might be.

player

Your competitor is way ahead of you. Surfing during the day? Never works weekends? You are pushing rocks up hills? Who do you want to be? I want to be surfing and not working weekends and not pushing rocks up hills...

ddarlak

Go Bills!
It would have to be a lot more for me, I have worked probably 4 Saturdays in 22 years of being self employed.

I'm not losing MY time to a guy who doesn't want to lose HIS time....

In this case, I always pick me...

rjssigns

I was in a similar situation with a plumber. After he got my "special" weekend rate we did it during the week. Now here's the odd part of our business relationship. He would drive the van in the shop and roll down his window. I would hand him that days newspaper and an ice cold can of regular Coca-Cola. Then the wife and I would letter the van. Would take less than an hour to complete and he paid on the spot.

A bit strange, but money was good and I wouldn't mind a bunch more like him.

BTW: As far as weekends go if the money is right I'm on the job. I have this weird tendency to "fire" myself in the middle of the week and take the dog to the beach so it all works out.:cool:

ddarlak

Go Bills!
Time is an arbitrary construct of man. Don't be beholden to any clock or calendar.

I agree on the arbitrary construct, but just like we must sleep every night in order for our bodies to refresh/rebuild, we need time for our body and mind to get away from work and do other things that matter.

Those who ignore "time" usually pay for it with health problems...