• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Competitor selling wraps too cheap

premiercolour

Merchant Member
I think the overhead is the problem here.

He's got no other sign equipment to pay off, he's probably don't have rent to worry about or family to feed. Plus, he's got much cheaper vinyl than you do. Don't expect his products will fail because that's unknown. Don't expect he will be out of business because that's unknown. What if he expanded?

I would make up a new business plan to be as competitive as he is. See what he has vs what you have. What he has vs what you don't have. The other way around. I think all men/women can do about anything at same level if you put the heart to it. If he can install a wrap vinyl well, i am sure you can too or your employee or your high school niece can. Thinking about while you are making money on banner printings, he's not. but he's making on wrapping vinyl, you are not. how about hire someone whom you trust with good set of skills. You are making profit on banner printing + vinyl installation - cost of labor - cost of vinyl difference vs him wrapping vinyl only. I really wouldn't wait for him going out of business or his products to fail. They might happen but that might not happen.

Mikeifg

Holy Crap. I don't let 3M go out the door for a penny under $10/sq ft. That's installed on something totally flat that will lay on my work table.

I hear u man. I have lowballers in the next town (New Haven) undercut bait switch. I'm @ 10sf too. But these guys beat me out on a wrap I quoted @ 2500. And they came in @ 500.00. These are a local tire trucks fleet and they used calendered vinyl told them they were using 3M. Lost a motorhome to them as well. Quoted 1500 and they came in at 600.00. Go figure.

ucmj22

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-11 at 10.54.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-11 at 10.54.42 AM.png
    172.2 KB · Views: 93

Cale Frederick

Competition is healthy. It generally keeps everyone honest.

However, in today's economy, there are many underhanded ways of doing business. Some do it with deceit, while others are doing it totally oblivious of what they're doing at all. So, as good reputable sign people, we must take a little extra care in educating the customer. Don't be putting another shop down, that never looks classy.

The easiest thing to say to anyone is.... I know my business and I know what it takes to do this particular job/installation/whatever from all angles... and do it right. I know what the costs are and other than a few dollars here or there for some miscellaneous things, we should all be on the same page within dollars. If we're not, first remember, I'm using all top brand/level of supplies and materials. Next, our jobs are handled with the greatest of care and are backed by our company because we know what we're doing. Should you find something cheaper, you must realize, there has got to be a difference and usually if something is handled properly, the only thing that can make a large difference is someone cutting corners.

We've been in business XX amount of years and have been here because we do quality work. If we cut corners we wouldn't remain in business. If you are completely shopping by numbers with no fear of quality, then come back after you find your cheap quote and at least allow me to figure out what we're bidding against.

At least you'll be making an educated decision of how to handle your business.

This post is great!!! I hope you don't mind if I print this out and pass it to my sales people who constantly ask me if we can beat a local competitor who actually wraps with IJ35C. They did a greyscale camo wrap on a Dodge Magnum last month. I saw it a few days ago and most all of the edges have shank back and are showing paint and places are popping loose all over the place on it. Kind of makes me glad he put his advertisement on it so people will know who did such a horrible job!

WildWestDesigns

Kind of makes me glad he put his advertisement on it so people will know who did such a horrible job!

Boy, I wish I had that luxury. I've seen embroidery, even on the simulated view from the program that they used and knew it will turn out like crap and it did. But their customers are so happy with the results and it was bad embroidery. Sometimes, you can just never know with customers.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This post is great!!! I hope you don't mind if I print this out and pass it to my sales people who constantly ask me if we can beat a local competitor who actually wraps with IJ35C. They did a greyscale camo wrap on a Dodge Magnum last month. I saw it a few days ago and most all of the edges have shank back and are showing paint and places are popping loose all over the place on it. Kind of makes me glad he put his advertisement on it so people will know who did such a horrible job!

Sure, go right ahead. I was under the impression that's what the posts are for.... to help others in these predicaments. However, I would tailor it to fit your shops requirements and your salespeople language as needed, but you get the basic idea.

Patentagosse

MAX Plus films are different than calendred we use to know. I'm not saying they perform like cast but I've seen some installed on a local Paint Protection franchise's cars and I was impressed. It doesn't install like standard "budget" vinyls. I've been told it's more like a PVC sheet... Anyway, cutting throat leads nowhere.

Xcesiv

MAX Plus films are different than calendred we use to know. I'm not saying they perform like cast but I've seen some installed on a local Paint Protection franchise's cars and I was impressed. It doesn't install like standard "budget" vinyls. I've been told it's more like a PVC sheet... Anyway, cutting throat leads nowhere.

i dont know for fact they are using Max Plus, i have seen 1 of the colours and it leads me to believe it is.

This guy is also my customer and spends a good amount of money with me as well.
I would be happy with him selling wraps using good quality materials, just hate being undercut and using lower quality materials and telling people its the same when its not.

Smacka

I don't know why people have such a problem explaining this to customers. When people tell us that joe blow quoted them $1,000 on a $2,500 wrap, I just laugh. Tell them that if a $1,000 wrap is REALLY what they are looking for then he's your guy. And if you need directions to his shop, its on the corner of Hatchet and Jobs!

Xcesiv

I am always going for the sale. I don't like people getting ripped off either. I want to show people why they r cheaper and why we don't do what they do.

Just trying to work out a way to easily show people.

A lot of customers don't know the value of wraps. So I need to not only build the value of using good materials but also value of qualified installs and that my prices competitive when comparing apples with apples