• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Complacency in Business?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
As any good business owner knows, our real competitors aren't the ones across the street. They're the ones in our head. And it's usually about this time of the year when complacency can begin to settle in.

"Soft" choices and indecision can be real business killers. I'm planning to do battle this weekend by setting aside some time to make a list, along with an action plan of the obvious things that need to be addressed.

As I've mentioned on other threads, I'm a lifelong learner and subjects like this intrigue me...especially when the subject happens to be myself. It seems as though after 47 years, I'd know myself better, but discovering new and uncharted territory (about me) is always a little bit interesting and perhaps a bit unsettling.

I'd like to know if anybody owns this book:

http://www.amazon.com/More-Space-Antidotes-Complacency-Business/dp/097700483X

If so, what do you think? It looks interesting.

And one, just for fun (how they made the book):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGry6pq4tCk

JB

rjssigns

Will look at the book once I get done reading all of Dr. Goldratt's tomes. Sometimes it takes a little nudge to get the ball rolling.

Pat Whatley

You know, I've found it really doesn't matter what book you read, or seminar you watch, or business model you study the very attempt at learning how to change is all that's really needed. You try to change it gets you refocused and re-energized and you'll do a lot more and make the decisions that need to be made. When you fall into a rut again later you'll read another book and it'll get you fired right back up. It's making yourself tell yourself what a boss would say to you.

James Burke

You know, I've found it really doesn't matter what book you read, or seminar you watch, or business model you study the very attempt at learning how to change is all that's really needed. You try to change it gets you refocused and re-energized and you'll do a lot more and make the decisions that need to be made. When you fall into a rut again later you'll read another book and it'll get you fired right back up. It's making yourself tell yourself what a boss would say to you.

True, but I sometimes find a little inspiration is helpful for changing my ways of thinking.

But as you mention, actions are what count and it's important to turn those new ways of thinking to become habits.

JB

SqueeGee

I haven't read that one. Drive by Dan Pink is good.

We just had a company lunch where each person was asked to bring 3 ideas with them to help improve our efficiency(there are nine of us at our shop). Next month, we're going to set aside a day to have a "FedEx Day"(google it) to implement some of these ideas.

James Burke

Overall a fair book. There were some really good articles, but a couple were a little on the edge. I've read better, and I've read worse.

I tried to do some followup with the author, but it looks as though the business is now defunct.

JB