• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Completely 100% UNRELATED to anything to do with the Sign/Graphics Industry...

SkyHighJK

Howdy, Signs101 Folks.

In less than 48 hours I'll be embarking on a [ridiculous and ill-conceived] journey of epic proportions. I'm running an Ultra Marathon -- The Avalon (Catalina Island) 50 Miler. It's gonna be a tough one. 50 miles, over 8000 feet of elevation gain (just non-stop up and down). I'm just hoping I finish and don't get my butt thrown in the back of a pickup truck for falling too far behind. My original goal was 12 hours (the official race cut-off) but now I'm worried that even that is too lofty a goal. Either way, it's going to be an experience, that's for sure!

Anyone ever done an Ultra before, or have an intimate relationship with someone who has? Any last minute advice? This is my first Ultra (previously complete two marathons) and I've been training for 5 months or so, but haven't quite put in as many miles as I should have... (Life certainly gets in the way).

Anyway. Here's to a fun weekend full of debilitating soreness and hours' worth of self-cursing.

Woohoo!

-SkyHighJK

crny1

Running is definatley not my forte and mad respect to you and those that do! Sorry I dont have any advice but like I tell my son in wrestling all the time. It comes down to who wants it more..........If you want it, its yours. Good luck!

SkyHighJK

Thanks, crny! To be honest, it's not really my forte either, ha! Just gonna dig deep and keep pushing!!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No advice, either, but good luck.........

Man alive, just thinking about it makes me.......:Sleeping:​

SkyHighJK

Thanks, Gino. I might be in a semi-catatonic state at some point anyway, so maybe I'll have the chance for a "shark-nap", as it were, for a few miles.
Signed Off: That's the plan! Relentless forward progress, as they say...

SkyHighJK

LOL, inspiring words, Player!! Luckily I haven't had any toenail issues thus far, but......... yeah.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
A friend of mine ran a marathon and all his toenails fell off.

That's what happens when you're overweight or too tired and drag your feet. I had a friend who got lottsa knuckle abrasions from dragging his arms by his side..... wait, that wasn't running a marathon, that was from drinking so long [like a marathon] and not standing up all that good.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Good luck! You should watch the Barkley Marathons on Netflix to prepare. It's a race that regularly has no finishers.

SkyHighJK

VanderJ, I love that movie! I've watched it three times .... there are times where I'm thinking "I'd totally like to try one lap of that..." and other's where I think "no effing way!" Great film, though. The creator of the event is quite a character!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
VanderJ, I love that movie! I've watched it three times .... there are times where I'm thinking "I'd totally like to try one lap of that..." and other's where I think "no effing way!" Great film, though. The creator of the event is quite a character!

In my cross country days when I was running at least 10 miles a day and could run a 5k in 17 minutes, I think I could have finished maybe one and a half laps. It takes a special person to finish that race. I love how the creator was asked, "Why did you name it the Barkley Marathons?" He just randomly named it after his buddy who doesn't run!

SkyHighJK

In my cross country days when I was running at least 10 miles a day and could run a 5k in 17 minutes, I think I could have finished maybe one and a half laps. It takes a special person to finish that race. I love how the creator was asked, "Why did you name it the Barkley Marathons?" He just randomly named it after his buddy who doesn't run!

Wow, that's fast!! I've never been anywhere even close to that. I didn't really start running until my mid-20's, and my fastest marathon time was about 4:10. Not bad, but not exactly speedy either!! 17min 5k? YOWSA!!

bulldozer

you are going to hit a wall, it is going to hurt like hell, but push through it and your adrenaline will take over, numbing you. your mind will defeat you before your body does.

i've never ran a formal marathon, but plenty of 25 mile runs, and then practice when i played club soccer.

SkyHighJK

Aahhh, the dreaded Runner's Wall. Luckily I've gotten pretty good at eating food while I run (which is great because people joke that Ultra's are basically just eating competitions where you run between food stops) so hopefully I'll able to maintain a steady energy level. Regardless, adrenaline will definitely be my friend!! And I'm totally going to be thinking of that line: "your mind will defeat you before your body does." Totally dig that!!

RJPW, thanks!! And hey, it's all relative; Own those 3 miles and feel like a champ!!

I'll fill you guys in on Monday :)

Have a great weekend everybody...

-SkyHighJK (UltraSkyHigh? UltraJK?)

SkyHighJK

I did it! It was ....... very, very challenging! It took me nearly 12 hours (11:51) and I can barely walk. Turned out to be ~50.7 miles, giving me a 14:00 pace. Not bad for 7000' of elevation (and a good deal of walking/hiking)!!
My toenails are all still attached (and still maintaining their original coloration), and no injuries were sustained.
Thanks for all the well-wishes, amigos.
It was a long day and something that I will remember forever. Would I do another one? Best answer I can come up with is: "maybe." Too soon to tell...

-UltraSkyHigh :)

P.S. for anyone on Strava, if you're curious..... Run Profile | Avalon 50 Mile!!!!!! near | Times and Records | Strava