• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Completely frustrated with applying long panels on RV (Please Help!)

ProVogue

Hello all,

I'm new at vehicle wraps. Done a class before through Orafol, but literally about to go insane wrapping this RV. I've wasted so much material and money that I'm just searching for any tips I can get now.

I've got a 38ft RV that I'm wrapping (It's mine so I'm getting some expensive practice). I'm having a big problem with applying large panels. These panels are about 9ft in length (40-50" in width) and everytime I get half way down, the panel starts flaring (stretching) out to the sides. Basically the middle lays down and the edges have about an inch of slack - Causing a nightmare to apply the rest. What am I doing wrong? It must be the way I'm squeegeeing the panel down. The material I am using is Orafol 3551RA with the 290 laminate.

Here are my steps if it helps:

1. Line up the panel
2. Tape the sides of the panel about a ft down. (I've tried 2 ft)
3. Fold the top back and tear off the backing
4. Apply the top ft.
5. Start working down the panel moving from the middle to the right, then middle to the left at a 45 degree angle while I start peeling off the backing.
6. Half way down.. Nightmare

I appreciate anyones help on this..

phototec

I would start from the back and pre-position all the panels in place and allow for the selected overlap, then use the center hinge method (see video), and squeegee back and forth as you start at the hinge and squeegee the lower section as you remove the backing, then do the upper section above the hinge the same way.

[video=youtube;4QFdweHrfv0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QFdweHrfv0[/video]

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
1) you have to squeegee with 1 hand and hold the vinyl with the other. try not to pull the material too much with that hand.
2) don't squeegee down. keep it 45 degree but sueegee left and right. Don't pull too much material off. only 1 feet at a time.
3) try to do it inside in an A/C area or do it in the shadow so the sun won't hit the vinyl.
4) use a 4inch squeegee for now.

i think you pulling down too hard on the vinyl and you also pull waaay to much paper off behind it.

phototec

Here is another video from Oracal USA showing a trailer wrap using 3551GRA with 290G Laminate. Only remove the backing a little at a time, to keep the material from stretching.

[video=youtube;F7IYH63RWY4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7IYH63RWY4[/video]

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
LOL. I posted the same trailer wrap video :))

Check out this video.[ see the comment above] hold with one hand, pull a feet off and squeegee left and right. I would not try to go from the bottom if you have a 9 feet tall panel. Try to mark the position on the vinyl and the body of the rv so when you pull the paper you will know that you are not shifting with the vinyl. I would put at least 1 mark by the middle and 1 by 3/4 way.
Sometimes i hold the vinyl with my whole lower arm. not just my palm.

ProVogue

So the first mistake was the way I was squeegeeing? I need to start from all the way left and go to the right, and then back. I should not be starting from the middle...
I don't think I could start with a bottom half because the panels are so tall. I'm having to stand on a ladder when I'm putting these panels down.

So - Squeegee left to right, make sure panel is lined up when pulling the backing paper down, and pull off a tiny bit of paper at a time.

Thanks a lot guys - Really appreciate it

phototec

LOL. I posted the same trailer wrap video :))

Check out this video.[ see the comment above] hold with one hand, pull a feet off and squeegee left and right. I would not try to go from the bottom if you have a 9 feet tall panel. Try to mark the position on the vinyl and the body of the rv so when you pull the paper you will know that you are not shifting with the vinyl. I would put at least 1 mark by the middle and 1 by 3/4 way.
Sometimes i hold the vinyl with my whole lower arm. not just my palm.

That's funny, I don't see any video in your post?

Niun

Waffle Baron
When I am laying large runs of vinyl I like to think of the original Karate Kid movie... It's either "Show me Paint the Fence" or it is "Show me Paint the House"

phototec

Here is another option I have never seen before, they some how tape all the panels together first then apply to the side of an RV as one large panel.

[video=youtube;TI1nszjoRkI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI1nszjoRkI[/video]

They also tape a temporary meta strip on the side of the RV to allow them to hold the graphics in place using magnets.

Has anyone on here tapped their panels together first like this and apply in one large panel?

phototec

I don't think I could start with a bottom half because the panels are so tall. I'm having to stand on a ladder when I'm putting these panels down.

Your RV in no taller than the one shown in this video an they start in about the middle. Maybe you need to get off the ladder and get something like they are using?

[video=youtube;2RL_cZ1w2nU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RL_cZ1w2nU[/video]

decalman

Here is another video from Oracal USA showing a trailer wrap using 3551GRA with 290G Laminate. Only remove the backing a little at a time, to keep the material from stretching.

[video=youtube;F7IYH63RWY4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7IYH63RWY4[/video]

I know I'm off topic but that is quite a weak layout.

ams

Hello all,

I'm new at vehicle wraps. Done a class before through Orafol, but literally about to go insane wrapping this RV. I've wasted so much material and money that I'm just searching for any tips I can get now.

I've got a 38ft RV that I'm wrapping (It's mine so I'm getting some expensive practice). I'm having a big problem with applying large panels. These panels are about 9ft in length (40-50" in width) and everytime I get half way down, the panel starts flaring (stretching) out to the sides. Basically the middle lays down and the edges have about an inch of slack - Causing a nightmare to apply the rest. What am I doing wrong? It must be the way I'm squeegeeing the panel down. The material I am using is Orafol 3551RA with the 290 laminate.

Here are my steps if it helps:

1. Line up the panel
2. Tape the sides of the panel about a ft down. (I've tried 2 ft)
3. Fold the top back and tear off the backing
4. Apply the top ft.
5. Start working down the panel moving from the middle to the right, then middle to the left at a 45 degree angle while I start peeling off the backing.
6. Half way down.. Nightmare

I appreciate anyones help on this..

It's good vinyl your using, but you have to know how to use it. Don't use a heat gun on flat surfaces. Heat will stretch the vinyl out of place.
I'd like to see a photo of it messed up half way down.

Has anyone on here tapped their panels together first like this and apply in one large panel?[/QUOTE]

One of our installers prefers installing panels like this on RV's and large trailers on big piece. I think it is what you are used to. I can see the advantage of it, but I personally do not feel it is any faster for me. I would say it speeds up his installation a little though.

peavey123

If your panel is jacked half way down, I'd guess that you are trying to lay down too much vinyl each pass. Each pass with your squeegie should only be applying half an inch at a time and sqeegee across the entire panel, not half way left and halfway right. This way your squeegee should be moving horizontally, not on an angle downward on each end. good luck.

BrianKE

I used to do what all the videos are showing, tape at one end and work my way down, squeegeeing about two feet at a time. Then I learned a great trick from another installer which saves me a good deal of time and is much easier.

The way I do it now is as follows:

1. Get the vinyl lined up and apply the first few inches.
2. Peel off ALL of the backing keeping the vinyl taut and off the vehicle (may need a helper until you are comfortable with this).
3. With the vinyl still taut, but not stretched, lay the vinyl down directly over the vehicle. Press both bottom corners against the vehicle to keep the vinyl in place.
4. Work from the top-middle out and down (top being whatever was applied in step 1). Be careful not to press too hard. I tend to go over the entire panel lightly and then come back a second time and work the vinyl into any crevices, etc.

I couldn't believe it when this installer did this for the first time. I thought for sure there would be bubbles everywhere but the vinyl I he recommended (3M ControlTac from Signs365.com) releases the air as I squeegee. If there are any small bubbles I wet my finger and rub the bubble in a circular motion which eliminates the bubble.

Bosh

Contrary to the videos posted, I would absolutely second the "remove all the paper, pull taut, only squeegee when it looks good" method. Working in little sections with the paper on creates tension/wrinkles- the paper becomes a raised object (i.e. obstacle) to work against. Even when the surface is essentially "flat" (is it really?), don't approach a wrap like a sign blank.

defarge

Application tape might help

A few times I've had to wrap box trucks in 85-90 degree heat. To keep the panels from stretching, I put a 10" (approx) wide strip of application tape down each long edge. A little extra cost and time, but my panels would have started out fine in the morning, at 70 degrees, and been longer and out of alignment in the heat of the afternoon. I do peel the backer about 18 inches at a time, and start in the middle of each panel, but there are lots of ways to do it.