• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Computer: always on or shut down each day?

ironchef

that makes sense phototec... i turn them off using that same logic. But i don't freak out if i left one on overnight. Lol. My ivy bridge turns on in like ten seconds... my other phenom (1.5 years old pavilion) takes a minute tho, same time as my xp. And the xp is ten years old. So i see why you'd want to avoid that start up time. But i think that would use alot of ram, am i wrong? Slowing down ripping, and other stuff.

phototec

that makes sense phototec... i turn them off using that same logic. But i don't freak out if i left one on overnight. Lol. My ivy bridge turns on in like ten seconds... my other phenom (1.5 years old pavilion) takes a minute tho, same time as my xp. And the xp is ten years old. So i see why you'd want to avoid that start up time. But i think that would use alot of ram, am i wrong? Slowing down ripping, and other stuff.

Yep, me and my buddy both purchased identical Samsung 46" DLP TV's about 4 years ago, he would leave his on all day, morning to night, and often all night long. I turn mine off when not watching something, it's only on in the evening for about 4 hours and on weekends. Mine is still working fine and his bit the dust 1-1/2 years ago, and he had to purchase a new one.

In my mind, it makes sense to turn electronic devices off when not using them, I wish i could get my wife to turn off lights, often she has lights on in every room she has been in during the day. It's so easy and takes very little effort to turn them off, but she keeps telling me she was going to go back into that room later?

:help

Bly

Wow this is almost equivalent to a "which oil to use" on a bike forum.. :Sleeping:

I always turn mine off - HDs and fans don't wear when turned off.

WildWestDesigns

Wow this is almost equivalent to a "which oil to use" on a bike forum..

Little bit more energized in a 6.0 PSD forum with regard to oil.

Shut all ours down every night. It helps everything cool down.

I would also have a UPS hooked up as well. The TVA is notorious for futzing around with the electrical. All our embroidery heads, quiting machine, computers, printers all are hooked up to one.

letterman7

On 24/7 with sleep mode enabled after an hour of non-activity. Unplugged from the wall when storms are in the area!

gabagoo

I have always turned everything off when I leave. I have never had any major computer problems in all these years that I hear others have. The occassional power supply has burnt out is about the only issue.

njshorts

Home and office machines- 24x7 unless there's a big storm coming. Components have a shelf life and will (PSUs, for example) only handle so many powercycles... Better to keep in constant operation, IMO.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Has anyone here had their computers or other equipment fried by a close or direct hit from an electrical storm? I usually play it safe and disconnect but sometimes when working on important jobs i take my chances.

Last edited:
Being from an IT background, The old reasoning behind leaving them on, was due to expansion and contraction of metals going from running to off and vice versa. Everyone knows that heating and cooling a metal causes expansion and contraction, and eventually the point of expansion and contraction weakens.

Now, in reality, the odds of you seeing this during the usable life of the machine are rare. But this is the reason back during the 286 / 386 days, when materials were not what they are today, that people said to leave the machine on.

Just my $.02

I had electricity strike the cable TV line coming into the house, hit the cable modem, and then fried the motherboard via the the ethernet port due to the cable being directly attached to the pc in a single pc setup.

JimmyG

I turn mine off at night even tho I have a good UPS because we have frequent pop up thunderstorms in my area....also unplug the broadband cable even tho my fiber setup has UPS and surge protect....
Intellicast radar is a valuable tool during the day as I can usually see within about 15 minutes if I need power off....My UPS has "saved" me many times during the rainy stormy seasons....
Before I had the "sense" to buy a decent UPS, I got hit by lightnin' a few times....

:)~