• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Computer dilemma - opinions needed

crny1

Hello all,
I currently have 2 signburst design station computers. Each one is at a different office. (1500 miles apart?)
I spend 5 hrs on Sunday afternoon flying and 5 hrs flying on wednesday. This equates to alot of lost design time. I want to be able to design and work on files while flying. Obviously a good laptop would work but using a TouchPad for mouse absolutely sucks in my opinion. A mouse is alot to mess with on a plane with the laptop on the tray table. Would a cintiq by wacom be the way to go? Load up the files I will be needing before leaving and then have just the screen (tablet part) and the pen to use? To me this sounds optimal for using with PS and Illy. Would this be a good idea? I know $2500 is alot but I loose more than that in wasted time doing nothing. Thoughts?

Wes

WildWestDesigns

Hello all,
I currently have 2 signburst design station computers. Each one is at a different office. (1500 miles apart?)
I spend 5 hrs on Sunday afternoon flying and 5 hrs flying on wednesday. This equates to alot of lost design time. I want to be able to design and work on files while flying. Obviously a good laptop would work but using a TouchPad for mouse absolutely sucks in my opinion. A mouse is alot to mess with on a plane with the laptop on the tray table. Would a cintiq by wacom be the way to go? Load up the files I will be needing before leaving and then have just the screen (tablet part) and the pen to use? To me this sounds optimal for using with PS and Illy. Would this be a good idea? I know $2500 is alot but I loose more than that in wasted time doing nothing. Thoughts?

Wes

I have the first Wacom Companion that they put out and I use it for the Master Suite CS6 and Wilcom and it handles it just fine.

Now, your Ps work might be more extensive then mine, but I don't have any complaints with the tablet. Just make sure that you get the one that runs Windows and not the one that I think runs an Android OS.

Now, I should mention that I'm a Cintiq junkie, so take that into consideration as I have the 12WX, 21UX, 27QHD, and the Companion (a couple of Intuos in there, but not used much anymore unless have to). I really do like their stuff.

reQ

Surface Pro 3/4. Awesome thing, love it. Using it when i go mobile & not sitting in the office.

Chasez

If you have software licenses already for adobe etc. you could look at using a surface book, double purpose as laptop and tablet. I use one for my designs on the go.. its great cause you can flip the screen over and use it as a tablet (or take it right off the keyboard) and it handles PS and Illy no problem (as long as you get the i7 versions which run about $2799 CAD).
They're also super light which is a lot nicer than carrying around a bulky laptop.

Chaz