• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Computer Monitors

shan_50

I just bought a new mac pro and am looking at getting (2) 19-21in monitors. Is there anything i should look for before i buy!?

Thanks!

RoyWraps

Sorry, had nothing smart to say.

Check the card connections make sure that it supports two monitors.
Refresh rate is one of the most important things to check on.
The most important to me is adjustment capabilities as far as comfort, sitting, and visual.

G

gps-hi

should probably stick with apple for consistency. Maybe pick up a used cinema display.

cgsigns_jamie

I've got two 23" Cinema displays on my MacPro and they are the best monitors I've ever had. They are super bright and the color is awsome.

There was a thread about monitors not too long ago with some really good info. I'll try and dig up a link for you.

Other than Apple I've had good luck with Samsung and the Dell UltraSharp line of monitors.

trakers

I am not familiar with the Apple computers (nor do I wish to be), but I assume they have some sort of proprietary connector for their video output.

Monoprice most likely has an adapter to make them compatible with normal monitors.

If so, then check out the Hanns-G brand of displays. As I sit here I am looking at 6 of them, one looking better than the next.

Here are two semi-large 22" widescreen for $139 and $159 respectively.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010190020 50011143 1309822582&name=22"

Been using this brand for years with excellent results.

Good luck and congrats on your new machine.

Tim Aucoin

I am not familiar with the Apple computers (nor do I wish to be), but I assume they have some sort of proprietary connector for their video output.

Mac's have not had proprietary connections for their video cards for years now. They are using the same DVI ports that PC uses. You likely have dual DVI ports if you got the Mac Pro.

As far as monitors go... I've tried many, but found my favorite last year when I purchased a LaCie 526. This is by far the best monitor I've ever used. It's not a cheap monitor, so depending on your budget, it may not be for you. The 526 is a 25.5" LCD @ $1500. You can get the 20" version 320 for $960. Yes, it's a lot of $$ for a monitor, but they are very good, very accurate displays. www.lacie.com

Just my 0.02 worth! :rock-n-roll:

omgsideburns

we run dual 24" HPw2408h monitors on our workstations at our shop. They are great monitors (for the price) but the settings needed to be tweaked to get the color right.