Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer Parameters

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by SKADSIGNS, Aug 11, 2008.

1. SKADSIGNS

SKADSIGNS Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I am looking to buy a computer for my shop however I cannot find any "parameters" for FlexiPro8.5. I have seen on here not to get Windows Vista but what else do I need to look for? Would a lap top be better than a desk top model? I would think a lap top would be good for field work and meeting with customers. Any help would be appreciated.

Tags:
  2. sign&frame

sign&frame Active Member

Mar 30, 2008
    I would recommend something with atleast a dual processor I personally use quad but basing on if you want in laptop
    around 2.66 mhz or higher with atleast 2 gig hard drive and 500 gig hard drive dvd rw is hand to

3. Flame

Flame Major Contributor

Apr 26, 2006
    Vancouver

I read this 3 times and still don't totally get it. Sign&Fame............ ENGLISH PLEASE!!!

I would suggest a desktop for a variety of reasons. Upgradeable, easy to work on and more power for less money........are only some of the reasons to go the desktop route.

Are you printing or just cut vinyl? Print files are MUCH larger than just cut graphics.

4. sign&frame

sign&frame Active Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Lol sorry Flame here we go again ha
    If you are thinking of a laptop go with the following:

2.66ghz or higher
    2 gig ram
    500 gig hard drive
    dvd-rw drive
    with atleast 17" high resolution screen

But like Flame said a tower is a better way to go and if you want awesome one there is a Merchant here that makes special rip towers
    I think its color burst or something but it is under the Merchant directory

5. eforer

eforer Active Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Warwick, RI
    Quad cores are only really beneficial if you rip multiple jobs simultaneously. Flexi does not SMP individual RIP jobs, so an individual job will only use 1 core. Also, keep in mind that real world benefits from a couple of hundred mhz on a cpu are pretty small. IMO, the best deal going on a chip is an E6750. Also, the Intel based chipsets are the best (shockingly) so try to stick with those too.

Windows XP, and all 32 bit os' can only address 4gb of memory, so no more than that. Most of the time, windows will only report 3gb, but it uses all 4. Its default split is 2gb for kernel, 2gb for everything else.