• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

computer problems...

signrios

Here's the deal, im trying to fix my wife's sony laptop, i'm doing an xp clean install
it starts loading a bunch of files and right after i press f8 it gives me a message that reads " searching for previous versions of microsoft windows... "
and it gets stuck doesn't go anywhere!!!

any suggestions?
:help

SignBurst PCs

Curtis,

I don't think that he can get to that portion of the install if he freezes after F8.

It has been a while since I loaded XP, so I could be wrong.

You can do it from the command line in Recovery Console, but that is more of an advanced road.

I might do a chkdsk from the Recovery Console. You may have drive issues.

choucove

If you are planning to do a completely clean installation of XP and don't mind losing whatever previous data was on the disk, then just do a full disk wipe with a diskwipe utility. This will write 0's or 1's to the entire disk erasing all previous data which SHOULD stop the application from freezing when it's searching for a previous XP installation.

You can get several different diskwipe utilities for free. I have used DBAN several times, available here. It creates a bootable CD and should be pretty simple walkthroughs of how to use it on their website. It is a pretty simple tool, but be prepared that it may take some time to complete the job.