• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

computer running slow

gabagoo

My computer I use for my Edge is about all I use it for and it is networked so we can access info off of the others. It also has access to the internet. Lately my Omega software just seems to crawl. If I send a job to output it can take minutes before the screen opens and then to select different options takes far to long. For instance I hit the print button and then I stand at the Edge to start it and nothing is coming down the line. I go back and I can see the button tgo print is still depressed. Almost like my computer is doing some looping or something. I have run avg with no problems found. I dont have a spyware software in the computer as it is very rarely ever used for going online, but it is online. How do you keep the network up but shut sown the internet?

trakers

I'm gonna assume you have a PC running XP.

When the PC is dragging, do a 3 finger salute (Hold down Ctrl-Alt-Del) to open the task manager. Click the CPU header twice to sort by CPU usage. See what's hogging your resources. Post back with your results for additional help.

SignBurst PCs

What are your system specs?

CPU:
RAM:
Hard Drive Space (Total):
Hard Drive Space (Available):

You may just be reaching the limit of your hardware's performance capabilities. There are other possibilities (of course), but this seems to be a plausible one.

gabagoo

I went out for a couple hours came back and continued printing and now its back to normal. I will check the processes next time it acts up. thanks

Service Sign Co

I thought from a previous thread you were running ME instead of 2000. there's a difference 2000 is NTFS where ME is a glorified 98. 2000 good is ME bad. IMO

trakers

Glad to hear it came back. Let us know if you have more problems.

And as Day Sign said, 2000 is good, ME is evil.
2nd worst OS Microsoft every foisted on us.

HP5000ps

I used the windows Live care mentioned in another thread. It allowed me to close a number of programs that opened automatically when the computer started.

Mine is running much quicker with them closed.

gabagoo

This computer has always been fast enough to run the Edge and Omega with no problems, but I have a sneaking suspician that there may be some form of spyware or something that may have got into it. I don't use it to access the internet, but if a customer comes in and asks to look something up, that is the computer I would prefer them to do it on. I bet someone went somewhere they shoudn't have. Anyone know of any free spyware that actually exists?

SignBurst PCs

This computer has always been fast enough to run the Edge and Omega with no problems, but I have a sneaking suspician that there may be some form of spyware or something that may have got into it. I don't use it to access the internet, but if a customer comes in and asks to look something up, that is the computer I would prefer them to do it on. I bet someone went somewhere they shoudn't have. Anyone know of any free spyware that actually exists?

Oh, I wasn't doubting that it was fast enough to run your software...

My thinking is that modern antivirus programs are getting to be resource hogs. Computers that were once speedy, may be sluggish as time goes on, even if nothing has changed other than keeping your security software up-to-date.

THATgirl

when my computer is running slow I go to start up and delete most everything that has attached itself on there. I certainly am not one to know much about computers, but this simple trick has made my life much easier many times. Good luck

smdgrfx

I don't know why you can't run your Omega on XP. I did without any problems. I have since updated Omega and my PC. I currently run Omega 2.51 on XP SP3 and on Vista 64bit, however, there are no drivers for the Edge or HS/GS plotters on Vista, so it's just a design station.

I experience the same hang ups every now and then. Typically, I reboot my system and everything goes back to normal. I think it's just poor programming. I like my software, but it's not optimized. In other words, you can have an awesome computer, but it does very little for the sign programs. I have a couple of awesome rip stations as well that can flex their muscle all day long and only give me small increases in performance. I'd like to pick Casey's brain about some of this sometime. It helps in rendering if you are using the new CS4 and have cutting edge graphics cards, but that's only happened in the last few months (graphics cards being an advantage). Still no love from the sign software manufacturers.