• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Computer specs (what are you running)

907customs

I've been a little frustrated lately with trying to figure out what I need to upgrade above 4gb of ram...ie 64 bit os, correct drivers for all my programs, and equipment, etc. So I was thinking what do you all use for your computers for your digital printing, ripping, etc. Super details aren't necessary, but give me the highlights, and how you like or dislike the certain items. Here's what I run...

Dell PC with XP Pro, 4gb of ram, quad core processor, 1tb hard drive, 512mb video, with dual 22" monitors. When traveling I use my Dell laptop which has XP Pro, 2gb of ram, core 2 duo processor, 80gb hard drive. Primary software is Flexi 8.5, and photoshop CS3.

My PC works great, pretty fast at ripping, etc. Laptop is noticibly slower, but fairly solid. With the price of ram dropping, it would be nice to just be able to dump a load of it in as an upgrade, but from what I understand that isn't the case.

SignBurst PCs

You're right. To use more than 4GB of RAM, you are going to need a 64 Bit OS. You will also need to find out how much RAM your motherboard (and BIOS) will accept.

Both Flexi 8.5 and CS3 will run on 64 bit Windows (XP and Vista).

RAM is a great way to speed things up. We use 8GB as a standard on all of our SignBurst™ design computers.

gradus

Custom built (by myself):

TYAN THUNDER K8WE motherboard
2 x Opteron DualCore 275 (4 cores total)
8 GB of ECC RAM
2x160GB Maxtor SATA HDD's in RAID 0 (system + applications)
2x500GB Maxtor SATA HDD's in RAID 1 (documents)
2x160GB Maxtor SATA HDD's in RAID 0 (Windows swap file + photoshop scratch)
500GB Maxtor SATA HDD for real-time backup of documents (I know, I know it's redundant)
GeForce 7600GS + Dell 30'' LCD
XP Pro 64bit (+ XP Pro 32 on VMware Virtual Machine)

Paid +/- $1800 for components about 2 yrs ago.

Best investment in my life. I'm working on large files with Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash and Dreamweaver open all the time (+ CorelDraw sometimes ), meanwhile the VMware Virtual Machine running 32-bit Windows with Versaworks is ripping large pictures, Winamp is playing streaming music... no way to take this baby down, just love it. Never had BSOD or even simple freeze in 2 years.

Best,
Konrad