• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Computer wont turn on when connecting Mimaki CJV30-160

Do I need a bigger Power Supply?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

PrintingSol

I just wanna make signs...
My computer wont turn on when pluging the Mimaki to any computer.

Computer #1 Specs:
i7 7700
GTX 1060 3gb
Asus Prime H270 Motherboard
16Gb ram
1 TB + 128 SSD
500 Watt PS

When plugging the Mimaki to this computer, the motherboard USB ports stop working. Keyboard/Mouse/Headset LED lights remain on, just mouse and keyboard stop functioning.
Have to disconnect, and restart computer so they have to work again.

Computer #2 Specs
i7 4790k
GTX 980
Gigabyte Motherboard (GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK)
16GB Ram
2 TB + 256 SSD
850 Watt PS

No idea what to do.. I feel like im in a shortage of power but I just dont recall needing a 1000+ Watt Power Supply?

Craig A

Connecting the printer to the computer's USB port shouldn't have anything to do with power supply.
Does it only happen when the printer is plugged into the USB port?
Does it happen regardless of which USB port you use?
Does plugging other USB devices into the port make it freeze/crash?

If the answer to the previous questions is "yes", then maybe this fix would help if you're feeling technical. Warning though; the fix in the following link involves editing your Windows Registy! If you aren't comfortable doing that, then maybe a local tech could help you figure it out:
My computer freezes when i plug in a usb port

Other things to consider:
Are the USB ports 2.0 or 3.0?
If you know the day/date this started have you tried a system restore? I'm assuming you're running Windows... 10?

I'm fairly certain it isn't a power supply issue: it's an OS or possibly a setting in your BIOS.

OmegaAdv

I think that deleting all usb ports in device manager, restart windows and new fresh install will solve the problem.

PrintingSol

I think that deleting all usb ports in device manager, restart windows and new fresh install will solve the problem.
I actually did try this on both computers but didnt work. But I figured out the issue.

Turns out that the issue had nothing to do with the computer.

I had the computer connected to a Power Surge while having the Mimaki connected directly to the wall.

Apparently the mimaki gets way to much power from the wall, so connecting it to a power surge fixed the issue.

PrintingSol

Connecting the printer to the computer's USB port shouldn't have anything to do with power supply.
Does it only happen when the printer is plugged into the USB port?
Does it happen regardless of which USB port you use?
Does plugging other USB devices into the port make it freeze/crash?

If the answer to the previous questions is "yes", then maybe this fix would help if you're feeling technical. Warning though; the fix in the following link involves editing your Windows Registy! If you aren't comfortable doing that, then maybe a local tech could help you figure it out:
My computer freezes when i plug in a usb port

Other things to consider:
Are the USB ports 2.0 or 3.0?
If you know the day/date this started have you tried a system restore? I'm assuming you're running Windows... 10?

I'm fairly certain it isn't a power supply issue: it's an OS or possibly a setting in your BIOS.
Correct it only happen when the printer was connected to those USB ports, they would all stop working when plugging the printer into any USB port. The computer with only 500 watt wouldnt even turn on, the 850 Watt computer would turn on but none of the usb ports would work until I disconnected the printer.

Mentioning as well, the 500 Watt Computer was brand new, fresh windows 10.
But I figured out the issue, in case someone else has this issue as well.

Turns out that the issue had nothing to do with the computer.

I had the computer connected to a Power Surge while having the Mimaki connected directly to the wall.
Geek Squad said to try connecting everything to a power surge to see if it would fix the issue.
Apparently the Mimaki gets way to much power from the wall, so connecting it to a power surge fixed the issue.