• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Conan speaks up!!!!

gabagoo

BREAKING NEWS: Conan O'Brien won't host "The Tonight Show" if it's moved to a post-midnight slot

Conan O’Brien says he won't host "The Tonight Show" if it's moved to 12:05 a.m.

NBC outlined a plan last week to move the "Jay Leno Show" to 11:35 p.m in March, bumping O'Brian's "Tonight Show" back a half hour. Leno seems to be okay with the plan, but his statement O'Brian refuses continue to host the show.

His statement reads:

People of Earth:

In the last few days, I’ve been getting a lot of sympathy calls, and I want to start by making it clear that no one should waste a second feeling sorry for me. For 17 years, I’ve been getting paid to do what I love most and, in a world with real problems, I’ve been absurdly lucky. That said, I’ve been suddenly put in a very public predicament and my bosses are demanding an immediate decision.

Six years ago, I signed a contract with NBC to take over The Tonight Show in June of 2009. Like a lot of us, I grew up watching Johnny Carson every night and the chance to one day sit in that chair has meant everything to me. I worked long and hard to get that opportunity, passed up far more lucrative offers, and since 2004 I have spent literally hundreds of hours thinking of ways to extend the franchise long into the future. It was my mistaken belief that, like my predecessor, I would have the benefit of some time and, just as important, some degree of ratings support from the prime-time schedule. Building a lasting audience at 11:30 is impossible without both.

But sadly, we were never given that chance. After only seven months, with my Tonight Show in its infancy, NBC has decided to react to their terrible difficulties in prime-time by making a change in their long-established late night schedule.

Last Thursday, NBC executives told me they intended to move the Tonight Show to 12:05 to accommodate the Jay Leno Show at 11:35. For 60 years the Tonight Show has aired immediately following the late local news. I sincerely believe that delaying the Tonight Show into the next day to accommodate another comedy program will seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting. The Tonight Show at 12:05 simply isn’t the Tonight Show
. Also, if I accept this move I will be knocking the Late Night show, which I inherited from David Letterman and passed on to Jimmy Fallon, out of its long-held time slot. That would hurt the other NBC franchise that I love, and it would be unfair to Jimmy.

So it has come to this: I cannot express in words how much I enjoy hosting this program and what an enormous personal disappointment it is for me to consider losing it. My staff and I have worked unbelievably hard and we are very proud of our contribution to the legacy of The Tonight Show. But I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is its destruction. Some people will make the argument that with DVRs and the Internet a time slot doesn’t matter. But with the Tonight Show, I believe nothing could matter more.

There has been speculation about my going to another network but, to set the record straight, I currently have no other offer and honestly have no idea what happens next. My hope is that NBC and I can resolve this quickly so that my staff, crew, and I can do a show we can be proud of, for a company that values our work.

Have a great day and, for the record, I am truly sorry about my hair; it’s always been that way.

Yours,

Conan

Pat Whatley

I can't believe NBC is trying to adjust the schedule to save the Jay Leno show. The Leno show is HORRIBLE. The man obviously has incriminating pictures of somebody because Letterman should have gotten the job after Carson anyway, now he's pushing Conan around. Put the Leno show on at 2:00 am....it will have the same number of viewers.

I say all of this knowing my television gets turned on about 2 hours a week.

Last edited:

Replicator

I agree with every word Conan has spoken here . . .

Jay's 10PM slot has failed miserably and now he's pulling Bret Favre and personally I say Jay should just get the boot into retirement

which was his plan all along !

gabagoo

I too like Conan, and I stand behind him on this issue. I used to love Conans late night show!!!

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Conan is funnier than Jay. But I cannot remember the last time I watched NBC. Nothing interesting enough for me. Network ups/downs seem to go in cycles. Of the few network shows I do watch, they are on CBS and ABC

Air Art Girl

Don't care for Conan, only like 2 segments that Jay does but will take Letterman anytime over either of them even though I can't stand Paul Schaffer, well, when he tries to sing anyway. If Paul would only keep his mouth shut.

Sparky

Keep in mind Conan walks away with $45 million in his pocket from NBC for breaking his contract. Leno's move, all along, has been described as an "experiment."

I have a goofy sense of humor that most don't understand, but I do not relate to Conan at all. I was hoping for a more mature show when he made the change. He had the opportunity to redefine himself, but the same schtick came with him.

I think I just said I am old! Sheesh!!!!! oh wait... those ! should be ))))))))))))

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Is Steve Allen still alive ?? Maybe he could take it back. I know, he's gone, but he was my favorite. Johnny just did it different. Leno's voice just irritated the living daylights out of me. His constant whining nasal whimpering just annoyed me. He was never really funny when he was a guest on Johnny's show and he didn't get any better after taking over the show. I didn't see how he got the spot unless he 'chinned' someone into it.

Guess we'll just have to see how it pans out. Frankly, I don't watch that crap anymore... it really isn't the same at all. Most of it is all cheap shots.

tcorn1965

Never watch the Tonight Show, I quit when Carson did, because when Leno filled in for Carson from time to time before he retired, it was weird...Maybe the chin? LOL. Classy letter Conan

Border

Don't care for Conan, only like 2 segments that Jay does but will take Letterman anytime over either of them even though I can't stand Paul Schaffer, well, when he tries to sing anyway. If Paul would only keep his mouth shut.

Agreed!

Craig Ferguson totally rocks in my books. He's a nut, to the core.

OldPaint

when JAY left the TONITE SHOW..........i have not watched it once. THE CONAN show, that was on after TONITE SHOW...........i never watched..........JUST NOT INTO BEVIS & BUTTHEAD, i guess.
that is who CONAN & ANDY reminded me off. 2 HALF ARSED COMICS.......dont make a a show.
what has ANDY RICTHER dun since he left??? NOTHING!!!!!!
when CONAN IS GONE..............i will watch leno..........the 10 pm was a dead horse from DAY ONE!!!!!
i really prefer LETTERMAN(we have the same feeling for that comic from alaska)...hehehehehehhe.
things more fun then reading palins memories!!!!!!!!!!! too funny
THEN CRAIG FERGUSON........is totally hilariousness, sorta MONTY PYTHON-ISH!!!!!