• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

concrete block sealer

Colorburst

I have been asked to bid a job to remove printed vinyl from a concrete block wall (parts of it are already starting to peel off) seal the painted block and install new printed vinyl. Any ideas what to use for a sealer that the vinyl will stick to?

OldPaint

being an old painter...................just cant "wrap" my head around hangin vinyl on a concrete wall. to my experiance........PAINT ON A CONCRETE WALL is how it should be done!!!! VINYL, is a flexible product. it WILL shrink and expand at a totally differnt rate then the CONCRETE WALL!!!! you stop and tink about this? PAINT......put on to the CONCRETE, becomes part of the wall! it will stay where its put no matter what temp changes the wall goes thru. would it be so hard to find a GOOD WALLDOG SIGN PAINTER and let him do the job right????????? and IT WONT PEEL)))))))

round man

masonry sealer is usually a clear liquid akin to tiecoat. its not much more than liquid acrylic polymer. It goes for about 10 or 12 dollars a gallon here at owes or home depot and you get about 300 sq ft to the gal coverage. takes about half an hour to dry at 75 degrees.

round man

joe they are making a vinyl for masonry walls now,...seems like the vinyl jockey's felt like they were loosing work to all us shakey jakes and wino's they all say we are,.......

OldPaint

timmi, they make all kinda schit, today THAT I WILL NEVER USE.... including VINYL FOR CONCRETE WALLS))))))))) totally dumb. i painted concret wall at a race track, and i know you have to. these wall look like they was used for a rifle range bullet stopper. tryin to stick vinyl to HOLES aint gona work)))))))))))))

MontereySigns

I have been asked to bid a job to remove printed vinyl from a concrete block wall (parts of it are already starting to peel off) seal the painted block and install new printed vinyl. Any ideas what to use for a sealer that the vinyl will stick to?
We have had good success using Thompson's Waterseal Clear Multi-Surface Waterproofer. Pay special attention to the instructions- it's very exact in surface preparation and application. We use LG's LD3880 Ultra-Tack adhesive vinyl film and cast laminate for our wall graphics applications. This is a very reliable combination. Good luck.

-Shawn

Colorburst

I agree, paint would stick better but it would be harder/expensive to paint these images (see photo). What about putting sealer / Thompson's over the existing paint? Is it a problem with the surface or the vinyl media? I did not print or install the first go round but I think it was Arlon material.

Attachments

• UWwall.jpg
    UWwall.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 85

Si Allen

A couple heavy coats of plain old latex wall paint will help smooth out the surface ... then apply a seal coat as Roundman suggested.

You will have more surface contact, therefore better adhesion.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
timmi, they make all kinda schit, today THAT I WILL NEVER USE.... including VINYL FOR CONCRETE WALLS))))))))) totally dumb. i painted concret wall at a race track, and i know you have to. these wall look like they was used for a rifle range bullet stopper. tryin to stick vinyl to HOLES aint gona work)))))))))))))

These times they are a changin.

Now John Henry was a mighty man, yes sir. He was born a slave in the 1840's but was freed after the war. He went to work as a steel-driver for the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad, don't ya know. And John Henry was the strongest, the most powerful man working the rails.
John Henry, he would spend his day's drilling holes by hitting thick steel spikes into rocks with his faithful shaker crouching close to the hole, turning the drill after each mighty blow. There was no one who could match him, though many tried.
Well, the new railroad was moving along right quick, thanks in no little part to the mighty John Henry. But looming right smack in its path was a mighty enemy - the Big Bend Mountain. Now the big bosses at the C&O Railroad decided that they couldn't go around the mile and a quarter thick mountain. No sir, the men of the C&O were going to go through it - drilling right into the heart of the mountain.
A thousand men would lose their lives before the great enemy was conquered. It took three long years, and before it was done the ground outside the mountain was filled with makeshift, sandy graves. The new tunnels were filled with smoke and dust. Ya couldn't see no-how and could hardly breathe. But John Henry, he worked tirelessly, drilling with a 14-pound hammer, and going 10 to 12 feet in one workday. No one else could match him.
Then one day a salesman came along to the camp. He had a steam-powered drill and claimed it could out-drill any man. Well, they set up a contest then and there between John Henry and that there drill. The foreman ran that newfangled steam-drill. John Henry, he just pulled out two 20-pound hammers, one in each hand. They drilled and drilled, dust rising everywhere. The men were howling and cheering. At the end of 35 minutes, John Henry had drilled two seven foot holes - a total of fourteen feet, while the steam drill had only drilled one nine-foot hole.
John Henry held up his hammers in triumph! The men shouted and cheered. The noise was so loud, it took a moment for the men to realize that John Henry was tottering. Exhausted, the mighty man crashed to the ground, the hammer's rolling from his grasp. The crowd went silent as the foreman rushed to his side. But it was too late. A blood vessel had burst in his brain. The greatest driller in the C&O Railroad was dead.
Some folks say that John Henry's likeness is carved right into the rock inside the Big Bend Tunnel. And if you walk to the edge of the blackness of the tunnel, sometimes you can hear the sound of two 20-pound hammers drilling their way to victory over the machine.

OldPaint

colorburst................you didnt say it was INSIDE...........GAC05..........glad you knw some black history.....ther is hope for ya)))))))))))))))))))))

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
OP did you catch the part about him being the best there was, but died trying to stay ahead of technology?
Hang on to the old skills as they are still needed but you gotta evolve or become extinct.

wayne k
guam usa

Salmoneye

They make a block filler/sealer you can buy at a professional paint supply house. It smooths everything out and seals, it would leave you with a much smoother surface to adhere vinyl products to than a thompson's type product. It is thick like elmer's glue. If you have a strong enough airless and the right tip you can spray and then backroll a couple of coats and top with a high sheen topcoat.

Salmoneye

I would not apply latex and then cover with a seal coat. Many times moisture will come up from underneath on concrete block and fail the paint bond from underneath. Definately seal first and your top coat and sealer would both provide protection from the outside just like on any surface. If you are just wanting to seal up the peeling paint there is a product (I think made by Zinsser) called peel stop that seals up all of the peeling, chalking and checking paint.

OldPaint

gac05...........I AM OLD 66 in may!!! yea things change and iam pretty good at keepin up with technology..............but i will not become a printer. its that simple. id rather make pottery)))))))))))))))))))

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
OP everything has it's place.
I think paint is the answer for one-offs that have to last as long as possible.
On the other hand if it is a promotion that has to last months or maybe a year or two at the most and more than a dozen copies have to be done - it's gonna have to be print.

wayne k
guam usa

OldPaint

like i said............I AINT A PRINTER, never wanted to be. I PAINT SIGNS. or make POTTERY............doin things that require artistic abilities....never wanted a Gutenberg press
or anything to do with a printer business.
have to be honest, i do own a 13x19 hp deskjet & an ENCAD 736.......for some things i need a PHOTO TYPE pic ture of.

Salmoneye

Things that require artistic abilities? I am learning many hand techniques and although different I don't think that they require any more artistic talent than any modern techniques. The same thing was said to me by a local old time wall dog that couldn't do a pleasing layout to save his soul. Talent is talent and artistic no matter the medium. Making statements like the above and trashing 2/3 of the people here that are trying to hone their skills and impart their artistic abilities into their work is just rude, mean and makes you come off like an ass. I hope that you can read this from way up on your high horse. Instead of berating everyone here you could practice what you preach and "translate your God given talent of what you see and think" with a pen and paper and your superior hand eye coordination in your personal journal instead of producing this un-artistic crap here with your computer technology. Wait, now I sound mean. I guess my point was that I don't understand why everyone thinks that their way is the only way. The guy is trying to quote the job that he was asked to quote, it is a good way to reproduce the art that he was hired to place, it is temporary in nature, there are new substrates that are working much better for this type of application and there are sealers out that will help with what he is asking for. I would have made 1/2 of my post in all caps too but I am just too tired to yell.