• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Concrete Wall Wrap

adaminjville

Have a client that is asking about having their entire concrete block wall wrapped (exterior). Anybody here familiar with doing these type jobs? We have done boat, vehicle wraps, but exterior walls.

Any recommendations for type of vinyl, application techniques, etc. appreciated.

modernmav

On exterior walls like that if its got a fairly extreme texture we usualy use IJ8624 w/ 8518 lam. Im not 100% sure if this is the best choice out there for this application but its always worked well for us. Like rushworks said definitely check local zoning and sign permitting prior to starting the job

adaminjville

Thanks

Yeah, I was looking in the Fellers magazine when I posted this thread...just thought I would see if anybody here had the practical experience with the vinyl. Thanks again for your time!

OldPaint

sometimes the "old school" way of doing this would be the best for you and the client. exterior walls, of concrete block construction are so irregular/level, and then you got the the problem of ADHESION!!! is the paint on the wall gona stick better to the wall.........or your printed vinyl? longevity, and getting bumped are also factors. plus the vinyl will have a open top.....water, dirt or whatever can work down into it. paint would be you most effective and efficient way of doing this. but i dont know nothing........been paintin concrete walls for 30 years.

Circleville Signs

The issue is going to come down to three main points -

1. Long term/Short term?

2. Budget

3. Experience with the product.

If they want long term, and have an open ended budget, then OP is right - painting is the way to go. If they are short term, or have a limited budget, then wrapping it is the way to go.

That being said, using rough texture vinyl is NOTHING like wrapping a car or a smooth wall. NOTHING. It requires special tools, LOTS of heat, and LOTS of patience.

MikePro

I use 3M 8624 with 8524 overlam. Works GREAT! Still have a sample up on my concrete block wall here at the shop that I put up 5 years go and still has yet to pull away from the mortar line/corners.

LOTS of heat, and LOTS of patience.
+1 this.
also, make sure you clean the surface EXTREMELY well. We once power-washed nearly an entire parking garage a week before application just to be safe.

boxerbay

I use 3M 8624 with 8524 overlam. Works GREAT! Still have a sample up on my concrete block wall here at the shop that I put up 5 years go and still has yet to pull away from the mortar line/corners.

+1 this.
also, make sure you clean the surface EXTREMELY well. We once power-washed nearly an entire parking garage a week before application just to be safe.

+1 on power washing the wall with simple green before install. We used 8624/8524 combo, torch and rollepro. DONE.

MikePro

some quick pix.
p.s. that's NOT my tape measure. Our shop sign-gal enjoys using "flowery" tools so that I resist the urge to lose them in my toolbox :)

Attachments

• Picture 12.jpg
    Picture 12.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 147
  • Picture 13.jpg
    Picture 13.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 133
  • Picture 14.jpg
    Picture 14.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 135
  • Picture 15.jpg
    Picture 15.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 162
  • Picture 16.jpg
    Picture 16.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 148

Letterbox Mike

We've been using the 3M textured surface vinyl for a while now with good results. Just today, actually, though, we installed some wraps around some stucco columns using MacTac's RoughRap vinyl and it went up much better and easier than the 3M 8624 IMO. We didn't even laminate these because they're only going to be up for a month at most, so we thought we'd give it a shot to see how it went, and aside from being a little flimsy to handle outdoors in the wind, it went great. Application is the same as 3M. This has a much much more aggressive adhesive than 3M so it stayed tacked in place easily, which was nice.

boxerbay

you got any pics of anything on a wall you have done? would love to see an install.

no but I am getting more to do another job shortly and I'll post some.

the best way to describe it is it is a big sheet of heat shrink like vinyl.

we lay it on just like regular vinyl with felt squeegee first pass. then go back and heat it and use the rollepro to push in the soft pliable vinyl into the grooves and crevices.