Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Concrete Wall Wrap

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by adaminjville, May 10, 2011.

1. adaminjville

adaminjville Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Have a client that is asking about having their entire concrete block wall wrapped (exterior). Anybody here familiar with doing these type jobs? We have done boat, vehicle wraps, but exterior walls.

Any recommendations for type of vinyl, application techniques, etc. appreciated.

Tags:
  2. rushworks graphics

rushworks graphics Very Active Member

Jun 29, 2010
    you can get wall wrap material. also, check that your local zoning and sign permit office will alowe this!

3. modernmav

modernmav Member

Sep 1, 2009
    On exterior walls like that if its got a fairly extreme texture we usualy use IJ8624 w/ 8518 lam. Im not 100% sure if this is the best choice out there for this application but its always worked well for us. Like rushworks said definitely check local zoning and sign permitting prior to starting the job

4. rushworks graphics

Jun 29, 2010
    if you have a fellers magazine, they have the wall wrap stuff in there. you can also go onto the fellers website and look for it.

5. adaminjville

adaminjville Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Thanks

Yeah, I was looking in the Fellers magazine when I posted this thread...just thought I would see if anybody here had the practical experience with the vinyl. Thanks again for your time!

6. OldPaint

OldPaint Major Contributor

sometimes the "old school" way of doing this would be the best for you and the client. exterior walls, of concrete block construction are so irregular/level, and then you got the the problem of ADHESION!!! is the paint on the wall gona stick better to the wall.........or your printed vinyl? longevity, and getting bumped are also factors. plus the vinyl will have a open top.....water, dirt or whatever can work down into it. paint would be you most effective and efficient way of doing this. but i dont know nothing........been paintin concrete walls for 30 years.

7. Circleville Signs

Circleville Signs Very Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Circleville, OH
    The issue is going to come down to three main points -

1. Long term/Short term?

2. Budget

3. Experience with the product.

If they want long term, and have an open ended budget, then OP is right - painting is the way to go. If they are short term, or have a limited budget, then wrapping it is the way to go.

That being said, using rough texture vinyl is NOTHING like wrapping a car or a smooth wall. NOTHING. It requires special tools, LOTS of heat, and LOTS of patience.

8. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    I use 3M 8624 with 8524 overlam. Works GREAT! Still have a sample up on my concrete block wall here at the shop that I put up 5 years go and still has yet to pull away from the mortar line/corners.

+1 this.
    also, make sure you clean the surface EXTREMELY well. We once power-washed nearly an entire parking garage a week before application just to be safe.

9. boxerbay

boxerbay Active Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Darkside of the Moon
    +1 on power washing the wall with simple green before install. We used 8624/8524 combo, torch and rollepro. DONE.

10. rushworks graphics

Jun 29, 2010
    you got any pics of anything on a wall you have done? would love to see an install.

11. MikePro

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    some quick pix.
    p.s. that's NOT my tape measure. Our shop sign-gal enjoys using "flowery" tools so that I resist the urge to lose them in my toolbox :)

Attached Files:

12. insignia

insignia Very Active Member

We've been using the 3M textured surface vinyl for a while now with good results. Just today, actually, though, we installed some wraps around some stucco columns using MacTac's RoughRap vinyl and it went up much better and easier than the 3M 8624 IMO. We didn't even laminate these because they're only going to be up for a month at most, so we thought we'd give it a shot to see how it went, and aside from being a little flimsy to handle outdoors in the wind, it went great. Application is the same as 3M. This has a much much more aggressive adhesive than 3M so it stayed tacked in place easily, which was nice.

13. boxerbay

boxerbay Active Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Darkside of the Moon
    no but I am getting more to do another job shortly and I'll post some.

the best way to describe it is it is a big sheet of heat shrink like vinyl.

we lay it on just like regular vinyl with felt squeegee first pass. then go back and heat it and use the rollepro to push in the soft pliable vinyl into the grooves and crevices.

14. insignia

insignia Very Active Member

http://www.youtube.com/watchINSIGNIA

that's our youtube channel, with a whopping one video on it, but it's us installing the same column wraps I mentioned above (a previous installation, this was with 3M material).

15. MikePro

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    :rock-n-roll:nice vid!