Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

condensed help

Discussion in 'Fonts and Typography' started by scott pagan, Jan 24, 2005.

1. scott pagan

scott pagan Member

Feb 4, 2004
    charlotte nc
    another "easy" font that i can't resolve.
    [​IMG]

the strokes look of differing weight, but it's consistant on the other copy i'm working off of. the "G", "R", and "S" and the round period should be the tip-off clues, but i'm stumped.

Tags:
  2. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    I can't resolve it either Scott. Closest font I saw was Triumvirate Bold Condensed. It has obviously been artificially condensed. Looking at the period being perfectly round and strangely positioned, I wonder if perhaps the round period is a substitution.

3. scott pagan

scott pagan Member

Feb 4, 2004
    charlotte nc
    wow, thanks Fred! (that was fast)
    i knew it shouldn't have had me so stumped. any other "close" matches than Triumvirate? i need to keep more in line with the look of the "G" and "S". the periods i can replace.

4. Fred Weiss

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    Standard Medium Condensed
    Bureau Grotesque 37
    Univers 59 (Not that close)
    Helvetica Neue 77

5. SouthPaw

SouthPaw Member

Dec 27, 2004
    Does anyone else think the "B" looks like it's from a different font than the other letters?

6. SouthPaw

SouthPaw Member

Dec 27, 2004
    I was able to modify Swis721 BlkCn BT (Corel's version of Helvetica Condensed Bold, I imagine) to get pretty close (and then replace the period with a circle).

I had condense the font even more than it already was, thin the horizontal strokes a bit, shorten the middle horizontal strokes on the E's, thin the horizontal bar on the G (at the same time pulling down the "vertical" stroke above that bar by selecting the two lower nodes at the same time...likewise had to elongate the ends of the S's.)

It only took moments (as complicated as it all sounds)...and my "B" looks like it belongs with the rest of it.

I also put a bit more angle on that thingy on the bottom of the "G" and rounded the left bottom corner of the right leg of the "R" a bit.

Attached Files:

7. SouthPaw

SouthPaw Member

Dec 27, 2004
    What on earth does "Geo. Bres|" mean???

(Just total, meaningless curiousity on my part)

8. Fred Weiss

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    I took it to be George abbreviated.