• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

connecting printer & internet

signrios

i'm trying to connect both my printer and internet trough the same computer
as for now i can only use one, either the printer or the internet, not together.
the pc has two network cards.
in order to connect the printer i type in the ip adress, but to use the internet i click on obtain address automatically.

doing this only the internet works.
theres no connection with the printer.

before someone asks why i don't have a dedicated rip station, the new rip station is out!! it currently been fix.

Jim Doggett

Are you connecting it directly, or through a router? To print over a network (wireless or wired), it needs to be routed through an Ethernet hub.

signage

What Jim is saying is there is usually a router/switch connected. I think what you are trying to do can be done but I am not sure how. Some how you need to tell the computer hardware which card to use for which device! Is the internet connected to a modem?

I think what you need to do is go into networking and set up both cards individually!

TriCities Signs

You need to set an ip address for the network card that the printer is connected to in the control panel. Use the same ip address as the printer except the last number change it to any other number greater than 0 and use the ip address of the printer as the gateway.

signrios

i'm still trying to make this work, i'm sure there's a way.
any body else wanna give me their 2 cents?

thanks