Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering a Summa DC3

Discussion in 'Summa' started by AGI1301, Nov 21, 2005.

1. AGI1301

AGI1301 New Member

Jul 11, 2005
    I am considering the purchase of a Summa DC3 Plus. Looking to do my due diligence before making this purchase.

I was hoping that there might be positive/negative input out there that might help make this decision easier?

The other printer/cutter option I am looking at is the Roland SolJet. I have some experience with the Roland, but absolutely zero with the Summa.

Thanks for any help/advice in advance,

JP

Tags:
  2. WVB

WVB Very Active Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Do a search for the Summa DC3 from above and you should pull up some threads that have the DC3 mentioned. I know GraphiXtreme was going to buy one but went with the VersaCamm instead. Again do a search for DC3 and you should pull up those threads.

3. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    The DC3 is an impressive machine however you will be locked into a single source situation for both consumables and service/support. You will also have nearly a $3 per square foot production cost.

Not something to which I would make a financial commitment.

4. ChiknNutz

ChiknNutz Major Contributor

Apr 18, 2003
    I did a lot of research on various options and just couldn't see the DC3 as being a viable option. For me, this came down to versatility and print costs. You are "almost" locked into the 3M/Summa 40" media in either white or clear...that's IT!!! I did some research on users using other materials and it was a bit hit and miss (3M comply, Oracal 3951 and others like this). I did talk to a couple owners who were please with the machine, but also knew the limitations. For sure, you can't produce banners or paper prints with it, again due to the 2 whole choices for media. As has been said, the print cost is quite high compared to any inkjet I know of. They claim no lamination is required, but I also talked to some owners that still laminated for vehicle graphics. It does seem like an easy machine to operate, but it's limitations just kept me from seeing it as a good option for ME.