• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Considering hiring a full-time salesperson. Any advice?

mshelnutt

We’re considering adding a sales person to our staff – a position we’ve never had in the company’s 44-year history on a full-time basis. I just wanted to check in with different member sign companies who do utilize a full time sales person/people to review your process, if you’d be so kind to take a few minutes to share.

For the sales position, we’d be interested to know:
  • If your sales position(s) is/are employed on a commission-only, base salary, or combination thereof.
  • If your sales people do any “cold calling” – or any other kind of direct marketing. If so, how do you determine what businesses to approach?
  • What products – if any stand out – do your sales team have the most success in selling and what industries they’ve had the best success in reaching out to?
If there’s anything else you’d like to share that has made having a salesperson/team a success, please feel free to share. We know you are busy, so we appreciate you sparing a minute to share your experience with us!

Thank you so much!

-----------------

Matt Shelnutt
Ken’s Signs, Inc.
2100 S. Powell St.
Springdale, AR 72764
479-756-1810

mshelnutt@kenssigns.com
1698931391584.png

mshelnutt

We have had a full time sales person, it didn't work out for us, my advise would be to spend their salary on online marketing.
Thanks for the response. Was that sales person just not willing to learn the industry, etc.? We're also working on being better about online marketing. We're re-doing our website and trying to be more active on social media.

Billct2

I've only worked in small to mid-size shops. Two of them tried adding sales people while I was there. Neither worked out.
I think the two biggest issues were
Compensation- you need to be selling a lot of profitable projects to pay a sales person, I would think it would work for a shop selling large projects and grossing millions.
Expertise- In order to sell signs you need to know signs The knowledge it takes to sell custom one off projects is extensive.

mshelnutt

've only worked in small to mid-size shops. Two of them tried adding sales people while I was there. Neither worked out.
I think the two biggest issues were
Compensation- you need to be selling a lot of profitable projects to pay a sales person, I would think it would work for a shop selling large projects and grossing millions.
Expertise- In order to sell signs you need to know signs The knowledge it takes to sell custom one off projects is extensive.
Good points. Thanks, Bill.

gnubler

Hire a young, attractive woman with a fun personality. She'll get signs sold no matter how much she does or doesn't know about signage.
For whatever reasons, most of my customer base is male, probably 85%. Unfortunately I'm not young or fun, otherwise I'd probably get more business simply based on appearances.

mshelnutt

Hire a young, attractive woman with a fun personality. She'll get signs sold no matter how much she does or doesn't know about signage.
For whatever reasons, most of my customer base is male, probably 85%. Unfortunately I'm not young or fun, otherwise I'd probably get more business simply based on appearances.
Thanks for the response!

Troy Lesher

Merchant Member
A good Sales person can have a significant impact on building your business. Having said that as you can see by the above comments its not an easy task finding that right person. Apply the 80/20 rule here 80% of all "Sales" people can do two things very very well...1) write resumes, and 2) Interview well. after that its a crap shoot. the other 20% is what you are after. To find that 20% you must have a solid basis for recruiting, interviewing, hireing and keeping that person on your staff.
Step one:
Make your job description in the Ads very clear on what you Have to have , and what is preferred. stick to your own guidelines. Put in full expectations of Job, including activities, tools that will be used ( like CRM) and standards of business practices. put in what the Salary range and OTE (On Target Earnings) are, make them realistic and based on real history of business.
Step two:
Have an interview process with more than one person in your company, make the questions consistent and then collaborate with everyone before final decision. Make the interview real, wlk through scenarios, thier cold calling abilities, there method of establishing and keeping business, how they deal with issues caused by internal processes, how to deal with a unreasonable customer, negotiona scenarios, sales scenarios. let them know what activities are Condition of employment requirements.
Step three:
Validate , validate , validate make them show you w2's for past performance, CHECK REFERENCES, verify info on application matches resume, matches w2's and matches references. Facebook Search, Instagram search, google search, LInkedin Search, Public Data Background search, Credit Check, Check references.
Step four :
Make an offer that comes with a no compete ( even if your a right to work state) 120 day probation period, in that offer is your companies policies (make them initial).
Step Five:
on their start date, have their business cards, computer, cell phone, whatever tools you will provide have this all ready to go, hold a luncheon with the rest of staff and celebrate their onboarding. make them feel special and valued.

a couple of other things to consider: Sales is a truly noble profession....nothing in our world happens unless a sale is made. If you are a sales-based company and your revenues comes from new sales or ongoing sales, then everyone in your company is either IN sales or Supporting Sales. Sales Professionals also have a set of skills ( yes real skills) and for those skills you must pay, nobody works for free, and if they do then well you get what you pay for. Professional sales people will definitely favor a good commission structure over a larger base everyday, but again I iterate if you looking for a commission only salesperson...you are likely to join some of the above people in their experiences.

This is the original presentation i created a few years back...still holds true https://www.dropbox.com/t/GDGZJK1PYwsE8vJr

Good Luck!

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
A long the lines of what visual800 said, look to backfill your spot in the business and start doing sales yourself part time. This way you can turn it off and on as needed.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
A good Sales person can have a significant impact on building your business. Having said that as you can see by the above comments its not an easy task finding that right person. Apply the 80/20 rule here 80% of all "Sales" people can do two things very very well...1) write resumes, and 2) Interview well. after that its a crap shoot. the other 20% is what you are after. To find that 20% you must have a solid basis for recruiting, interviewing, hireing and keeping that person on your staff.
Step one:
Make your job description in the Ads very clear on what you Have to have , and what is preferred. stick to your own guidelines. Put in full expectations of Job, including activities, tools that will be used ( like CRM) and standards of business practices. put in what the Salary range and OTE (On Target Earnings) are, make them realistic and based on real history of business.
Step two:
Have an interview process with more than one person in your company, make the questions consistent and then collaborate with everyone before final decision. Make the interview real, wlk through scenarios, thier cold calling abilities, there method of establishing and keeping business, how they deal with issues caused by internal processes, how to deal with a unreasonable customer, negotiona scenarios, sales scenarios. let them know what activities are Condition of employment requirements.
Step three:
Validate , validate , validate make them show you w2's for past performance, CHECK REFERENCES, verify info on application matches resume, matches w2's and matches references. Facebook Search, Instagram search, google search, LInkedin Search, Public Data Background search, Credit Check, Check references.
Step four :
Make an offer that comes with a no compete ( even if your a right to work state) 120 day probation period, in that offer is your companies policies (make them initial).
Step Five:
on their start date, have their business cards, computer, cell phone, whatever tools you will provide have this all ready to go, hold a luncheon with the rest of staff and celebrate their onboarding. make them feel special and valued.

a couple of other things to consider: Sales is a truly noble profession....nothing in our world happens unless a sale is made. If you are a sales-based company and your revenues comes from new sales or ongoing sales, then everyone in your company is either IN sales or Supporting Sales. Sales Professionals also have a set of skills ( yes real skills) and for those skills you must pay, nobody works for free, and if they do then well you get what you pay for. Professional sales people will definitely favor a good commission structure over a larger base everyday, but again I iterate if you looking for a commission only salesperson...you are likely to join some of the above people in their experiences.

This is the original presentation i created a few years back...still holds true https://www.dropbox.com/t/GDGZJK1PYwsE8vJr

Good Luck!
The hardest needle to thread with a good commission based rep is being able to turn out the work they bring in. If you hamstring their ability to maximize their pay by not being able to keep up then they will leave for a place that can. Sales reps will heavily weigh stability because they know this drill. They bust ass, load you full of work that you can't keep up with and end up getting fired because their job isn't relevant anymore. Aside from this, you can find plenty of lazy crappy reps but they often do more harm than good.

MikePro

i believe we do salary with commission that starts paying out after they cover their draw. As stated above, if production cannot keep up with their sales then its a tough spot to put them in ...which is a GREAT problem to have, but that just means you start raising rates to cover production overtime, production/installation staff additions, and/or outsourcing overflow.

signheremd

For me it is always funny to think that sign businesses need help marketing themselves... we make signs, which are advertising after all, but still need to market other ways.

mshelnutt

Step one:
Step two:
Step three:
Step four :
Step Five:

Good Luck!
Great stuff. Thanks, Troy!

gnubler

For me it is always funny to think that sign businesses need help marketing themselves... we make signs, which are advertising after all, but still need to market other ways.
My shop doesn't even have a real sign, landlord made it too difficult. I'm doing okay without one, it keeps most of the walk-ins away.

Signstein

This was our situation at a previous shop, except the gal also knew signs. She was great at selling, but we had an even better production staff. They churned through the work and so sales were always lagging. Eventually the sales dried up and there was no work - and that shop closed. Pay was a base salary plus commission. There was some cold calling, but it was mostly soft leads, follow-ups, referrals, B2B networking, civic engagement, etc. I think in our case the jobs were small which was why it didn't really work out.

JBurton

Signtologist
If I were you guys, I'd just wander over into the Fayetteville/Bentonville area and hold out a bucket, you'll catch some work no matter what, your entire region is booming!
Are you not catching new businesses as they move in?
Are you not getting quotes back fast enough to land the work?
Are you just not getting calls?
Here in central AR, things are slowing down for the year, at least compared to summer where we couldn't hang enough signs!

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Hey Ken's Signs. I subbed an install out to you guys a few years ago and you did a perfect job. Updating that website is key!

myront

CorelDRAW is best
I've been with the company 19 years and counting. We've always had at least one full time "salesperson" of sorts. More like a customer service team. We normally have 2 designated but we all can help customers. We really don't have a need to "sell". We get enough business as it is. Whenever we advertise that we're hiring for that position I ask that we not use the term "salesperson" but rather "customer Service". We're probably the only shop around that's an actual organization. Not a chain either. We have 8 employees
1 Owner/operator
1 Salesperson/Customer service/Project Manager - handle phones, walk-ins, customer pick-ups, payments, salesorders & invoicing
1 salesperson/Customer service/offsite installer
1 Lead Designer (me)/production/Production Manager
1 designer/production/installer
1 print tech/production
1 part time accountant/customer service - handle phones, walk-ins, customer pick-ups, payments, salesorders & invoicing
1 part time accountant/production

FASTSIGNS

We have 3 outside and 2 inside. We were lucky in that 2 (outside) were hired and promoted within. The other outside had a little experience. We pay a salary plus commission (above a floor). We don't pay for gas or car allowance (they can borrow the extra company van). As a franchise we have an area that we concentrate on. A combo of referrals, networking, cold calling and going deeper into existing customers is key. There is no one magic bullet. I will say each salesperson gravitates towards sales category. For instance, we have one that love exterior permit work. One that loves tradeshow/pop stuff. They help each other out and will work together on certain complex projects. We don't micromanage the team - like you have to do 50 calls and 20 estimates weekly -stuff like that. Sales numbers speak volumes as to if the salesperson is working. We (the franchise) provide lots of training and peer network.