• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Conspicuity Tape

JgS

What brand and type of conspicuity tape do you like? I got my first fire truck. It is a pretty straight forward repair job but they want the chevron on the back. I am looking for recommendations on the reflective vinyl to use. I was thinking of using Reflexite v98 but it only comes in yellow and red. The customer wants white and red. Should I use the R99 for white? Are there laws that require fire trucks to only be yellow and red? What about the pick-up trucks the fire department uses?

JgS

Think I just found one of my answers.

15.9.3.2.1 Each stripe in the chevron shall be a single color alternating between red and yellow.

JgS

I am going to try and bring this one back to life.

What do you like better for conspicuity tape Oracal or 3m?

Also does anyone have information on NFPA 1901 Standards For Retro Reflective Striping, regarding pick-up trucks?

Thanks.

TrafficGuy

We use 3M for the sides of trucks (2in) and it works great, lasts forever. only time we replace it is when it gets chewed up by a forklift or something hitting it.

Last edited:

jfiscus

Rap Master
I am going to try and bring this one back to life.

What do you like better for conspicuity tape Oracal or 3m?

Also does anyone have information on NFPA 1901 Standards For Retro Reflective Striping, regarding pick-up trucks?

Thanks.

It's a gray area as far as other fire apparatus like cars, pickups, quads, golf carts, sideXsides, etc. We are doing a lot of different things for a lot of different departments. Most are chevron-ing the rear tailgates of their pickup trucks, SUVs and cars. Many police departments and wheelchair vans are also incorporating Chevron striping into their graphics packages.

I have a customer wanting to chevron the roll cage on a fire boat right now... I told them it will look like a barber pole!

I really like the Reflexite materials for the Chevron striping on the rear of firetrucks and ambulances, but we also do a lot of printed Chevrons with 3M 680CR.

Here are some recent jobs: http://www.facebook.com/digigraphics/photos_stream