• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

constant pop up message about windows errors

TC49010

Whit said:
Check my earlier post for a link
to disable windows messenger,,, easily !!!
I'm a simpleton on puters,, so that
made it possible without the fuss !!!

I download and told it to remove it from my system.. little pop up says its removed....then re-booted..still had the pop ups...

rebooted pc before I went to town this am (9:15) not connected to the net at all.. had many many many pop up windlows to close at 2:35pm.

Still trying to figure out the majic botton to make it stop!
Thanks,
Trixie

Merlin

I had the same problem, after downloading something on the net. Mostly Microsoft ads. I tried all kinds of ad blockers. I finally downloaded WebRoots spy catcher. It immediatly found several programs and deleted them. They told me to run it three times in "safe Mode". It deleted a few more and now I am ad free. Just a way that I solved the problem.:thumb:

TC49010

gerald said:
Download the adaware and reboot in safe mode after you install it. The rn adaware. If you don't reboot in safe mode the malware will return in just a few seconds. Virus removal tools and malware/spyware tools can't totally remove a running process. If you reboot in safe mode these processes don''t start, only the necessary things to run windows starts.

It's best to turn of "System Restore" as well. Just remember to turn it back on when finished. Windows doesn't allow anything deleted from the restore files. So, some folks put their evil sh%* there.

I tried this and it found 5 things the others didnt, rebooted in safe mode 2 times and it found 2 more each time.

My system restore is scrapped!! I cant restore any further back than yesterday if I wanted to! Not sure why!!

Getting closer!! I have been running 6 hrs today with out a single pop up!

I also had no BOOT.ini so I used note pad and made one, put in in C: and no longer get the invalid boot.ini message at boot up.

Thanks!
Trixie

TC49010

Techman said:
look in your "temp" folders there will be some junk in there that respawns those malwares... You may have a couple of those Temp folders. they labeled tmp or temp.. you can find them in windows directory, or a couple of other locatiuons,, doa search for them.
ALso, use firefox,, its considered one of the best now, Netscape lost its advantage when it was purchased by AOL hell.

Boy did I have a bunch of chit in my temp folders!! I deleted it all except the folder it self!! Re-booted.. still had pop us.. but my system is getting a good cleaning!! LOL!!!

Thanks!
Trixie

TC49010

Rhinoz said:
It sounds like its using the windows messenger service. Please don't confuse this with msn messenger or any other type of Instant messenger. This one is built right into windows itself.

Try this:

To prevent the annoying messages from appearing, disable the Windows Messenger Service. To do this, click on Start, Run, type services.msc and hit Enter. Scroll down the list until you see the item named Messenger. Double-click Messenger, then click on Stop, and set the Startup type to Disabled. Reboot.

When I typed MSCONFIG from run I disabled messanger, had to go that route because trying to un-install it was not working. So its not running at all now... not sure if thats why I am not getting pop ups now or not but feels good to not be getting annoyed!!
Thanks for the input!
Trixie

TC49010

Merlin said:
I had the same problem, after downloading something on the net. Mostly Microsoft ads. I tried all kinds of ad blockers. I finally downloaded WebRoots spy catcher. It immediatly found several programs and deleted them. They told me to run it three times in "safe Mode". It deleted a few more and now I am ad free. Just a way that I solved the problem.:thumb:

I think mine was from being forced to allow pop ups in order to do some adobe photoshop tutorials I was working on.. if I had pop up blockers on, the tuts wouldnt open.. LOL.. guess I wont go back and test this theroy either!

Thanks for the input!!
Trixie

We do not use messenger, unless we have to. It does not even start with windows. There are settings in messenger that allow you to choose how it starts up AND, if I remember correctly, to block ads that use the messenger service.