• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Constant "Substrate Jams" on L260

parkedcar

Constant "Substrate Jams" on L260 (advice)

Any one else getting constant (80:01) I believe. Substrate isn't actually jamming.
HP cam out alread and replaced the media sensor and rewind motor, but i'm still getting the problem.
Not really looking for a fix here, just advice. I have yet to print a single wrap with out having to reprint at least 10-15' of material. I am sick and freaking tired of wasting media and ink and time on this machine. Its been nothing but a headache since i got it in march.
How would you handle this with HP?
I've got a lot of big wraps lined up, and i can't be constantly worried about this thing breaking down.

*81:01* Just burned up another 10' of 180c. These are all boats too that i'm printing. No panels, just 25 straight feet. I'm about to lose my mind here...

Last edited:

parkedcar

Just a little update. HP came and "repaired" the printer.
Sent me a set of heads for my troubles. Won't even have to worry about using them, seeing as I can't get a job printed with out failing. Just got another 81:01 am hour into a job. So fed up with this thing. And as always, I have a ton to print by Friday...

chafro

Have you cleaned and lubricated the rails?

there has to be something wrong with your printer, I have a few of these printers and don't get these messages. Insists to HP to find what part is not working. We print many complete rolls over night without any issue.

Anicom

Take up reel

just a thought, but the only time I had a jam on ours is when I manually tightened up the take up reel too much...it gave me the same error as you are getting. I have never had a "mid-print" jam other then this, not sure why the take up reel would pull so hard that it would make the machine think it had a jam but I've learned to watch it. maybe your take-up reel is the issue. I also have this thing running overnight and haven't had any issues.

Good luck!

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
just a thought, but the only time I had a jam on ours is when I manually tightened up the take up reel too much...it gave me the same error as you are getting. I have never had a "mid-print" jam other then this, not sure why the take up reel would pull so hard that it would make the machine think it had a jam but I've learned to watch it. maybe your take-up reel is the issue. I also have this thing running overnight and haven't had any issues.

Good luck!

This. I finally learned to let it hit the floor before I tape to my take-up reel, or sure as crap I'll get the error.

parkedcar

You guys sound like HP, haha. They've already replaced 4 different parts and just ordered 8 more for this week. Also, keep in mind, the printer was purchased only 3 months ago, brand new. I've been down for a good 3rd of the time i've owned it. I'm pissing off my customers and loosing a ridiculous amount of time and money. The errors come mostly 12- 20 feet into a job, long after the take up real as been functioning. Last tech that came rout was sure it was user error, but experienced it first hand about 8' into a job. I've also had the error in the first 2 or 3'. Last error was after 2 hours of printing, and I wasn't even around. HP is sure its not the take up real.
I have 10 wraps lined up right now including 3 boats and one dragster which i can not risk printing since I need 25 continuous feet per side. Paneled jobs aren't so bad since i will only loose the panel it failed on. I think the last time i sent the system report to HP i had 16 or so 81:01 errors.

parkedcar

Final update...

Long story short, I now have a kick *** 360 installed in the shop. 4 or 5 attempts at fixing the problem was enough. Grimco and HP were incredibly pleasant to deal with even though it got very frustrating at times with the breakdowns.

63Comet

What substrate are you printing on, are you over heating? Have you installed the edge protectors? What is your vacuum setting at... all these things can contribute to jams.