• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Construction Sign

steeltech

Hey everybody,

Ive been asked to create a construction site sign. Is there a shorter term for this? So Ive never created one of these before but I was asked to make a this sign for a family friend. Ive seen them before and its a simple face with information, direct and to the point. I was given a business card to use as reference for the design. The customer will buy his sign and install himself at his site, he just needs the sign. Ive never made one, so I dont know what material to look for, the prep, and whether to letter with vinyl or overlay with a digital print. He guessed a 3' x 5' sign would suffice. Do I buy an 8 foot sheet of primed board? Can you purchase custom size pieces? Are there multiple options on the substrates to choose from? And then, what to charge? I like to refer customers to companies that specialize in areas Im not familiar with, but I would like to learn on this one. Like i said, hes a family friend and this is a simple design job for a temporary construction sign weathering the elements. I figure I have to challenge myself and this isnt a major project. Its just that Ive never been asked to create one, and never had the hands-on at my previous employer. What better way to learn? This may be a white background with clipart and text, all of which will be black. I'd like to give this a shot but I would like some pointers, if my generous friends here on 101 are feeling a little more generous with their know-how.

Thanks everyone.

Caitlin

Hi,

Substrate option is sort of dependent on the usage of this sign. We do a lot of construction signs on aluminum composite which is pretty durable and reasonably priced. I know we always get 4'x8' sheets and cut them down on a table saw but we are in the process of getting a substrate cutter here.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If it's only one, I'd say use dibond.... aluminum composite. Your local distributor will probably have another name, but it's generally 1/8" or 1/4" thick.
If it's temporary as you say, I'd just do a digital print and lay it down and if it's 2-sided, lay it down on both sides.

We call them job or site signs. We make them from 18" x 24" up to 48" x 96" and then some custom ones at much larger sizes. Usually when the get that big, they are meant to last a long time. Then we make them out of 3/4" MDO board.

Good luck.............

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Who cares ?? He's a good friend getting a good price, let him worry about it. :smile:

Actually, that's a good question, but I'm sure if the guy is a construction person, he can figure out how to run some poles up the side, sink them in the ground and attach it. Afterall, it's only one sign. It can't be too hard.

Marlene

for a site sign, 4' x 8' x .375" thick (can't remember the mm) alumalite with vinyl copy will work. these signs get mounted on pressure treated posts or on fences mostly. alumalite is usually cheaper than dibond and most dibond is 3mm which might not work very weel between posts (I wouldn't use it for between posts, others may). check with your supplieer on the cost difference between dibond, alumalite .375" thick and alumlatie .25" thick. the thinner alumalite might be OK too depending on where they hang it.

Malkin

Budget sign: 10mm coro
Longer term option: 6mm poly metal

Alumalite is long lasting too, but dents easily when being hauled around.
Sometimes good ol fashioned sealed/painted MDO is the best bet for ruggedness.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
I'd use an Aluminum composite panel like Max Metal. It's about $40 a 4x8. Dibond is similar but twice the price. Alumalite is apx the same as Dibond.

HillHouseGraphics

I've done a few construction signs for condo complexes going up and I like to use 1/2 PVC with a print on both sides (decent air release intermediate print vinyl and coresponding laminate) I have a local fence company that has 4x4 white posts with caps that make the whole thing look nice. (attached with white sign clips)

Attachments

• 131974_425102084221819_1067879842_o.jpg
    131974_425102084221819_1067879842_o.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 80
Last edited by a moderator:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Another low cost option would be to print on 10z banner material, fold it over some 1/2 or 5/8 plywood and staple it along the back. It's easy to frame up or post plywood.
Will look good and last as long as needed.

wayne k
guam usa