Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Contaminated media?

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by jono Shaw, Feb 1, 2019.

1. jono Shaw

jono Shaw New Member

Jan 13, 2019
    East Yorkshire
    Hi guys,

Just grabbed a roll of Ri-Jet 50 printable & Ri-Jet 30 lam for a temp wrap on my van.
    Having some serious issues with printing on it, my first thoughts were heat settings but after trying lower and lower temps each run I’m starting to think the roll may be contaminated. Pics below, I’m about 3m in now and still the same

BFE05697-C620-460D-91D9-0ADDAD3BF8D2.jpeg 3C40FBDC-E5B0-4E81-843C-32D3D0775F34.jpeg

Tags:
  2. WhiskeyDreamer

WhiskeyDreamer Professional Snow Ninja

Aug 6, 2007
    Riften
    I'm assuming you've printed on this material in the past without an issue.

Have you tried a test print on an area that you cleaned super well? I don't run wide format, but sometimes I get rolls of vinyl where my foils on my Edge don't adhere and you get a look like this and it turns out that there is a residue on the material. So I clean it good with alcohol and test it.

3. jono Shaw

jono Shaw New Member

Jan 13, 2019
    East Yorkshire
    Not on Ri-Jet 50 no, however the Arlon, 3M, Avery and Metamark wrap films I’ve used in the past have all been fine with similar this set up.
    I’ll give cleaning it before it goes through a try now but that’s going to be a pain since the print is for a full wrap

4. WhiskeyDreamer

WhiskeyDreamer Professional Snow Ninja

Aug 6, 2007
    Riften
    Since you haven't used this before, I would ask if your ink is compatible with the material because it looks like it's not. It looks like it's not drying properly and it sitting on top of the vinyl.

5. jono Shaw

jono Shaw New Member

Jan 13, 2019
    East Yorkshire
    It’s definitely compatible with eco solvent ink.
    It’s looking like contamination. Gave a couple of meters a good alcohol wipe before it went through and printed flawlessly, apart from a few small patches that I missed.
    Going to be a long old process is this one

6. Asuma01

Asuma01 Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Bend, OR
    Looks like it could be an old roll and that the plasticers have leeched out of the media? Just a guess. Try cleaning an area with alcohol and printing on it to see if it makes a difference. Either way I would try to return it and get a new roll.

7. SheBeau

SheBeau Member

Dec 12, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    Okay... this may sound condescending... BUT, it looks exactly like what happens when you print on the wrong side of porous media. Was this roll from a company that winds the media in the opposite direction?

8. jono Shaw

jono Shaw New Member

Jan 13, 2019
    East Yorkshire
    Definitely printing on the right side mate

9. SheBeau

SheBeau Member

Dec 12, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    Yeah... it was a long shot. No offense intended, for sure. I’ve seen it done when the media was from a different vendor and rolled opposite from the norm. It was a big “oops” and a good laugh.

10. jono Shaw

jono Shaw New Member

Jan 13, 2019
    East Yorkshire
    None taken mate, it wouldn’t have been the daftest thing I’d ever done