• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Contour cut not read by Versaworks sometimes

perimage

hello fellow sign makers. Question for you guys and gals.

Why and how do I fix my contour cut in Illustrator so that Versaworks reads it. There are those times when I set it up in Illustrator and Versaworks does not see it. Most of the times it does, but there are those few times.

Thank you in advance,
Robert

perimage

thanks for help

these are all eps files that I am having problems with. And yes I am saving at postscript 3.

Thank you
Robert

grafxxx

is the color swatch spelled right. i had two color swatches that i named "CutContour" but one had a sm "c" and didn't work.

kustomguy

Just make sure that you have flattened transparency. Sometimes you have to copy the artwork into a new file, flatten, and then bring it back into the file with the cutline, resave and versaworks will read it then. Kind of a wierd quirky thing, it used to get me occassionally when I used versaworks.

Go to rolanddga.com ....Support....Choose your printer model (or at the bottom for legacy models) and click on Application and Software Guides.... you'll find a lot of information here to help.

Signs4Realtors

I have also had trouble getting the contour cut to work properly in Versaworks using an Adobe Illustrator .eps file. This usually occurs when my graphics have a gradient color in them. When this occurs, I save the editable illustrator layers into a .jpeg file and then place the .jpeg file into a layer with the contour cut layer above it. Then Versaworks will show the cut line. I don't think this is the best way to resolve this "gradient" issue because the .jpeg file won't print as clear as the vector artwork in the .eps file. PLEASE HELP RESOLVE THIS IF YOU HAVE SEEN THIS BEFORE AND HAVE ANOTHER RESULTION.
Thanks!

Malkin

I always save as pdf instead of eps. Generally smaller file size, few if any issues with gradients, and it always reads the cut contour (unless there is a transparency).

With a transparency I'll have to save as jpg and place it in a pdf with the cut contour on top. I haven't tried just flattening it, but it seems that would work too.

Signs4Realtors

Will a drop shadow of a 75% black text box behind the main text cause the contour cut not to work in Versaworks? I thought it was the dark to light gradient coloring that I typically use that caused the issue, but it could also be the 50% or 75% color transparency that causes it? If I save the file as a .pdf versus a .eps will that resolve the issue and if so, will the print quality be the same (or do you lose the vector lines in a .pdf versus a .eps?)