• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Contour Cut Path in Corel

Grafix USA

I'm new to drawing custom shaped contour cuts, so is there a better way to create a freehand contour cut path in Corel?

In my testing I am using the freehand tool to draw a line around the object in a photo and exporting it as an ai file to use in Flexi. I'm not really happy with the non-exact line I'm creating this way. I'm sure there is a much better way to do this.

I did a search but couldn't find an exact answer to my question. Any Corel gurus out there that have a quick way to add the cut line, I'd appreciate some feedback.

This is for contour cutting around sports images.

Thanks!

G

gps-hi

If you want precise control while creating the line, you'll need to learn and master the bezier tool. Since you're already freehanding, you might try adjusting the smoothing downward but it'll make more nodes. If you're not already, you can also fine tune the freehanded line with the shape tool. Learning when to use Cusp, Smooth, and Semetircal nodes will make a world of difference in controlling your line segements.

DRamm76

If you want to get a more exact contour cut line in Corel or Illustrator. Try this..

1. Make two copies of your image.
2. Take the second copy and group it
3. Rasterize the image with the option "Create Clipping Mask"
4. Ungroup the image and right click to "Release Clipping Mask"
5. Delete the Rasterized layer, the outline will be left but it will not be visible. Use your select tool, click and hold and drag a box in the area where the image was and you should find it.
6. Name the clipping mask the Cut Path and layer it over the original.

It's not as complicated as it may sound. Give it a shot. If you need assistance, let me know

Joe Diaz

If there is high contrast between the background and the foreground subject matter. I like to bottom out the "saturation" in the "image adjustment lab" which is found under "bitmaps" in your "menu bar" so that the image is gray scale. Then in the "image adjustment lab" I max out my "contrast" and then adjust the "brightness" until I get the silhouette shape i'm after. I then hit okay, then I use "trace bitmap" to create my vector shape. It seems like a lot of steps, but it's actually a quick way of doing it. but only works if the their is that contrast between what you want to trace and the background. Other wise you can also use the "eraser tool" to chip away to erase the background. You need a steady hand or a wacom to do this.

Also under "bitmap" in the menu bar there is "Contour" and several tool you can use to first edit the bitmap. Then again, use "trace bitmap" to create your vector shape.

Ken

In Corel X3...Launch the Quick trace..when it gives you a satisfactory outline of the object. ...copy and paste a new one ( delete the interior parts)..then expand it a little to your desired size...position as necessary.
Cheers!
Ken