• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Contour Cut way off....

5starwraps

Recently I printed out some large logos and some text that had gradient fills and a slight bevel on them. I've used this cutter for years and haven't ever seen it be this far off...On the right side of the print it cuts right at the edge of the text and logo outline and as it moves further into the middle of the print everything is centered fine but as it moves toward the left of the print again the cut is skewed. Ill need to take a pic of it but it's almost like it may be an output size compensation issue...happens on the x and y axis so I don't dare do any long runs or really anything over 48" wide without some serious contour bleed...Any thoughts?

Dennis422

Upgrade your firmware and reset your cutter. Sometimes the working memory of the cutter gets garbled up with all of that info you send to it.
When you reset the cutter, it cleanses up all the memory and resets everything.
Make sure you save your settings from CM3. You will loose everything when you reset the cutter.

thabeger

I agree with DKGraphics. I would also like to mention to use the setting to put as many registration marks on the media as possible. It really helps with the skewing.

5starwraps

Awesome insight...thanks guys. I'm using Flexi...I haven't seen where I can put in extra Reg marks on that. Ill look into resetting it.

303DC

Awesome insight...thanks guys. I'm using Flexi...I haven't seen where I can put in extra Reg marks on that. Ill look into resetting it.

Here's how you do that. Please let me know if resetting fixes this for you. I just lost about $500 in cast wrapping vinyl/lam because of this same issue on a few 10' long panels.
attachment.php

Attachments

• segment_help.png
    segment_help.png
    51.1 KB · Views: 256

toucan_graphics

I had this happen years ago on a Roland SP300V and it turned out to be the encoder strip. Cleaned it with alcohol and was good to go again until we replaced the encoder strip with a new one several months later.

Andy D

Here's how you do that. Please let me know if resetting fixes this for you. I just lost about $500 in cast wrapping vinyl/lam because of this same issue on a few 10' long panels.
attachment.php

I like how you can add extra reg marks, mine will only do the four outside corners.
Just wondering, we use the marks like what you have on the image, is there any advantage of using the marks
that are the mirror of those?

303DC

As far as I know, just printable area. You can squeeze in a little bit more printable area using the ones opposite of what I have selected in my screen shot.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I have started a habit of turning off the plotter and then back on right before I do any critical contour cutting. 9 times out of 10 if I have trouble with cuts lining up to the print, restarting the machine solves it. Don't know why....guess it's backed up/excess bits and bytes in there.... I do some contour cuts that are either -.01" or even .00" contour and I usually have them dead on AFTER a restart.
Also, I only use manual bomb sight for contour now. Auto aligning never worked right for us.

303DC

I have started a habit of turning off the plotter and then back on right before I do any critical contour cutting. 9 times out of 10 if I have trouble with cuts lining up to the print, restarting the machine solves it. Don't know why....guess it's backed up/excess bits and bytes in there.... I do some contour cuts that are either -.01" or even .00" contour and I usually have them dead on AFTER a restart.
Also, I only use manual bomb sight for contour now. Auto aligning never worked right for us.
Bomb sight style, huh? I know what you mean, but I've never seen that on my FC8600. Hmmm.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Bomb sight style, huh? I know what you mean, but I've never seen that on my FC8600. Hmmm.

It's only used with 4 point marks, in the same drop down list of Reg Marks. When you do your contour cut, it runs you through the steps to line up with the laser.

303DC

I just noticed one of my 11' panels I cut actually cut damn near perfect. That must mean I'm running into maybe this restart issue you all are talking about, or maybe when it's "folding" in the basket, sometimes it will bend up. I wonder if that actually caused the issue. Hmmm.