• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

contour cuts not connected

graphix45

I have a VS-640 and sometimes when I contour cut rectangle boxes w/radius corners or circles it only cuts part of it. The last job I did with the rectangle cut worked perfect, but the one before that only cut the ends and the radius corner but not the top & bottom. I was able to use a straight edge and connect them with an exacto so no big deal. I also just did 2- 20" circles & some 6" circles at the same time and both large circles missed a 1/4" spot at the top & bottom but the smaller 6" cut fine. Is there something I'm doing wrong or is this a glitch.

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
I have a VS-640 and sometimes when I contour cut rectangle boxes w/radius corners or circles it only cuts part of it. The last job I did with the rectangle cut worked perfect, but the one before that only cut the ends and the radius corner but not the top & bottom. I was able to use a straight edge and connect them with an exacto so no big deal. I also just did 2- 20" circles & some 6" circles at the same time and both large circles missed a 1/4" spot at the top & bottom but the smaller 6" cut fine. Is there something I'm doing wrong or is this a glitch.

Just a thought, if you are using a spot color as your contour line, make sure that it is either inside or exactly on the edge of your artboards, otherwise, the cutter is not even seeing that there should be a line. Even .03 can make it fall off. I might be way off, and I'm not even familiar with your cutter, but I have a graphtec FC-7000 and a Zund and do lots of contour cutting.
Hopefully that helps!
Jeremy

graphix45

Thanks for the input.
I use Flexi and their contour cut, export it as a pdf and then use VersaWorks to print/cut. This has worked on all the jobs that have odd shape contour cuts but only happens on some (not all) of the jobs that are rectangles or circles. It has happened twice on the same job now & I went back, deleted the original cut line, did a new cut line but still had the same result.
I've tried this same file as an eps & pdf but get the same thing on the contour cut.

graphix45

I'm pretty sure it's not the blade, holder or anything like that. I can see the blade lift up, move over and then goes back down & starts back cutting. I have noticed the blue box around the image in VersaWorks hides the cut line sometimes. Is this due to a margin setting? I will try to attach a sceen shot later today.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Not sure on your issue but I'm confused why one would use one rip to send to another rip? :help

Honest - not trying to thread jack or start a this rip is better than that one or anything. Flexi (pro) is a full rip that can handle printing, setting up contour cuts, and cutting - directly driving the machines. I'm not familiar with Versaworks but I thought that is Rolands included rip that can essentially do the exact same thing but only driving a Roland printer/cutter.