• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Contour cutting bitmap?

brad daggy

I used to use corel draw all the time, but now like using photo shop better. Is there any way to contour cut eps image from photoshop? I have more questions, but this one first. Thanks

WOODBS

you can, but i have only done it it from the psd file...you may lose certain effects though

TheSnowman

We've had this question asked a ton. From what I understand, and at least what I feel I know, you can't contour cut from photoshop. I could be wrong. Maybe your rip can do something that mine can't.

thewood

I assume you are using Flexi to RIP/Print? In order to contour cut around a bitmap, you will need to define a vector path that will be the cut line. Now onto making the path. If you're comfortable in Photoshop, you can make a selection in Photoshop, convert it to a path and export the path to an Illy file. You can then import the bitmap and path into Flexi, select the path and apply a contour cut to it. Alternately, you can create the cut path in Flexi by using Autotrace or by using the pen tool and node editing. Does this make sense?

brad daggy

I converted the text into a path, exported it as an eps file, then imported it into flexi, and contoured it no problem. but I cannot create paths with more than one layer at a time.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
You can contour cut bitmaps in Flexi as easy as with any other package. You don't necessarily need a discreet path, given the proper circumstances Flexi will construct one for you with the Effects->Contour Cut function. The proper circumstances being a bitmap with a transparent background. Flexi will contour the non-transparent portion of the bitmap just like it was a vector object.

OADesign

I used to use corel draw all the time, but now like using photo shop better. Is there any way to contour cut eps image from photoshop? I have more questions, but this one first. Thanks

Well to be specific you can't contour cut from photoshop.(im sure this is not what you meant but...)
but you certainly can create contour cutable vectors in PS.

I dont have any screen cap software on this PC or else i would ry to know out a tutorial for ya. But see if you can visualize what im about to type and follow along.

The intent is to get a (vector) shape that you can export out of PS to...

actually skip that im goign to try to make a video tutorial real quick.

BRB

Jackpine

Any vector you lay, draw, create over the bitmap can be a cut path. I do this and export as an eps (bitmap and vector). In the rip just select the vector as the cut line.

gtjet

Just import it into Flexi, select the area outside of the image with the magic wand too. Hit Shift,Control, I to inverse the selection. Then go to the bitmap menu and select convert to marquee, change the margee to a color different from the bitmap and give it a contour cut, order it to the back and group it. You can do holes in the image if there are any too but of course you do not need to inverse them. I can send a pdf from Roland detailing how to do this if you wish, it is really easy and quick although it sounds more complicated.

::ONEBADBUG::

In flexi how I do it is..

Put bitmap on the stage (duh)
(dont forget that the bitmap has a registration mark if you are doing the cut job on seperated machines)
use the trace bitmap tool
weed out any holes or garbage you dont want in it
then select the final trace shape thats left and hit countour
then release contour
dump the original trace
place and align, if needed..
group..
VOILA!

**if the bitmap trace gets crummy results even when reducing resolutions in the trace tool my easiest fix is to make a plain B/W shape bitmap template in the original size and trace from there and then swap the bitmaps when yer done. you can also add a gaussian effect to the B/W template as well and 90% chance of getting the same trace as doing a countour as well missing the other steps too....

...either way you do it, it should take less than 15 seconds.. : )=

signage

Gators2001 go to cadlinks website then go to tutorial and find the one titled Advanced Contour cutting.

Also there is a lot of good tutorials on this software! Check it out worth while!

Last edited: