• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Contour Cutting Drop shadows

OutputTech

HI,
Im having a problem with contour cutting out lettering that has a drop shadow out of fexi.
I get paths around both letters, when i just want it on the outside path around both letter can anyone help?
Thanks
OT

OutputTech

HI,
Im having a problem with contour cutting out lettering that has a drop shadow out of fexi.
I get paths around both letters, when i just want it on the outside path around both letter can anyone help?
Thanks
OT

I just bought fexi so any help would be great thanks

Pat Whatley

You're selecting the wrong options when you create your outline.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 131

Pat Whatley

You can if you want to. If you don't you can highlight and reset the type and the outline will automatically adjust to the new text. If you want to break them apart convert them to outlines. You can send them to the plotter without converting.

skyhigh

Like Pats illustration..... the only thing you will have to do, is select the shadow color in "Cut/Plot".

If you want to separate the shadow from the letters, you can either convert to outline.....or go to effects, and choose "separate effect". This will allow you to choose either the font or the shadow separately, yet the font will be maintained as a font.

As for a name (second from the bottom), It doesn't show a name.....it just does what the picture shows......shadow with a backer (and outline in this instance). Who needs a name when you have pictures?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
If you want to separate the shadow from the letters, you can either convert to outline.....or go to effects, and choose "separate effect". This will allow you to choose either the font or the shadow separately, yet the font will be maintained as a font....

You can do it this way but you also can select just the text from within the outline in the Object Manager and cut it. Then select the outline [which will also select the text] and then on the Cut Dialog deselect the red, or whatever color the text might be, and cut just the color of the drop shadow.

Or, even easier, select the outline, which also selects the text, and then in the Cut Dialog select the just the text color and cut it then select just the outline color and cut that.

In both cases you'll want to have 'Cut All Colors' specified in the Cut Dialog. Most people just leave this option always selected.

Either way leaves the outlined object intact. Separating the outline from the text is irreversible and perhaps you might want to manipulat either the text and/or the outline later.

Pat Whatley

If you want to separate the shadow from the letters, you can either convert to outline.....or go to effects, and choose "separate effect". This will allow you to choose either the font or the shadow separately, yet the font will be maintained as a font.

I've been using Flexi for 20 years and somehow never saw that option. I've gone through pain in the rear methods to acieve that. Thank you for showing me that.