• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Contour cutting only the contour not the design within

Lindsay

The question is hard to understand I know.

Using Flexi 7.6 with a Gerber edge 2 and GS 15 plus.

Making up chassis protectors for remote control off road race cars.
In the past I've simply cut clear vinyl double thickness the shape of what i'm covering.
Now I want to print the first layer and laminate with clear and cut out as I've previously done.
The logo's and designs to print are in vector format and arranged as required and the designs kept within the cut line.
The cut line is then converted into a contour cut to cutout the printed laminated piece.
When cutting the contour there are holes that need to be cut in the design at the same time.

The issue is when the printed and the laminated material is run through the cutter it not only cuts the contour cut but also around elements in the design.
Only want to use spot colours so how can I make just the contour cut with holes but nothing else in the design.
Converting the design to a bitmap doesn't seem to work as then it won't let me print spot colours.

Must be a way but can't work out how.

Attachments

• Chassis protector 2.jpg
    Chassis protector 2.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 104

threeputt

Can you not send two files? One file is for print, and then only selected portions of the file sent for cut?

Of course some sort of registration marks will have to be set, but you're doing that anyway, no?

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Not sure I understand, but it sounds like you somehow have applied the Contour Cut outline color to your design objects. You need to go through all your design elements and make sure they have no outline (or at lease no outline that is designated as the Contour Cut outline). It should then only cut the big shape you want.

Lindsay

Thanks threeputt and eahicks for your feedback. Both of you have given me some useful suggestions to think about and look into.
Yes eahicks I think I have somehow that may have happened.

When you send a design to print and it has Contour Cut Spot Color in it production manager should create two files a cut file and print file. It should separate everything for you. The only reason you are getting design in your cut is because somewhere along the line you gave your design a contour Cut Spot color outline. Go to flexi with the design open. Go to
View> View Filter > Uncheck everything except the Contour Cut Spot Color and click ok. This will show you everything in your design that is a Contour Cut. If you don't want it to cut delete it. Then View>View Filter> Show All and then try to do it again.

phototec

I don't use Flexi, I use Illustrator to create the graphics with Roland spot colors (as many different layers as needed), then ONLY the TOP layer contains the ContourCut file (outline and any holes needed to be cut), the ContourCut file has to be the TOP layer and needs to be a certain color to be recognized by VersaWorks as the ONLY lines to cut.

So, I would think all you need t o do is separate your art layer from the cut layer, so that Flexi can determine which is which, and ONLY cut the ContourCut lines and not the vector graphic images. I hope this helps and may a Flexi users can tell you how to do it.

Lindsay

Thanks a million people for all the help. Seen now the cause of the problem. All fixed now.

Yes have the rights to use that logo. It's advertising on their product. They supply and make available for that purpose.