• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Contour Cutting TWICE??

x2chris7x

Hi, I am having a problem when doing print/cut. I setup the files in illustrator with a spot color named "CutPath" and stroke width set to 0.25 for the cut path. We use Wasatch as our rip, and when we go to cut the graphic out it will cut the same path 2 times. It doesnt do this all the time, but I dont do anything different when setting up the files. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem, or anything similar, and what you did to fix it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

TheSnowman

Whenever this happens to me, it's because I really have two cut lines there right on top of each other. When I first got my equipment I never thought I really did, cause I never told it to copy that layer twice, but sometimes, depending on the artwork and clipping masks, I'd have two lines there to delete. I assume you double checked all that, but it was my exact problem.

Circleville Signs

Are you filling your contour? If so, that could be causing the problem. You should either fill it with no stroke, or have a stroke and no fill.

x2chris7x

Only 1 path, stroke only, no fill. Could it have anything to do with layer order? I have everything on 1 layer, but cutpath is on top, everything else is under it (i always set the files up in this order, sometimes it cuts once, & sometimes twice) Or could it have to do with grouping or ungrouping? right now everything is ungrouped...

x2chris7x

I just tried to make a new file, and I have tried all kinds of things and cannot get it to double cut again... Idk what the deal is!!

luggnut

are you exporting to wasatch as an EPS from illy? if you are saving the eps out from illy and the design has raster effects or any rasters (maybe only ones with transparency) then there is section in the eps export dialog box for transparency if it is grayed out then this is not the issue , but if it isn't grayed out you have to click on custom transparency setting then when the next box pops up uncheck convert all strokes to outlines.

it is converting you cutpath stroke to 2 outlines i think.

gabagoo

I have that happening on the odd illustrator conversion to eps. It really blows cause you never know its there until it's to late. The only software I have found that seems to detect it is Omega when printing on the edge as the letters or fills simply disapear on the screen.

x2chris7x

Yes, exporting as .eps, nothing raster all vector. But ill give it a try, b/c nothing else has worked. Thanks for the info

luggnut

Yes, exporting as .eps, nothing raster all vector. But ill give it a try, b/c nothing else has worked. Thanks for the info

are you using any effects like drop shadow? they will render as rasters.

x2chris7x

Luggnut, you got it!!! Thanks, but it doesnt have to be raster, if there is any transparency in the file then you will need to uncheck that box

luggnut

Luggnut, you got it!!! Thanks, but it doesnt have to be raster, if there is any transparency in the file then you will need to uncheck that box

yep i had the same problem before with wasatch... took me forever to figure it out. and yes any transparency..