• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Contour cutting with a D60

ChiknNutz

Anyone use a Summa D60 (or any other non-OPOS equipped) plotter to do contour cutting of digital prints? I was reminded that the D60 has the ability to do contour cutting with manual registration. I've never tried to do this, but was wondering if anyone has ever done this with any plotter w/o OPOS. I'm considering the Mutoh Falcon and it would be cool if I really didn't NEED the add'l plotter if this method would work for a while. I'm guessing that it is a PITA, but it just might get me in the game a little easier and for less $$$ up-front.

Scott Reynolds

In flexi you can pick what type of registration marks are printed. You use the manual registration marks witch are marked 1,2,3, and 4. Flexi will ask if you want the manually want to set the marks, and after clicking yes, you move the kinfe from mark to mark clicking Ok after each. It takes about 90 sec to do, its not to hard. Save you money and keep your D60. If you do need a new cutter sometime down the road, get the graphtec! Soild cutter..

WVB

Ok that is through the software, but how do you align the printed graphic on your D60 / Panther Pro so that it cuts correctly and not through the graphic? I too would like to know so I could save money on another cutter and just go straight to say a Mutoh Falcon Jr.

WVB

Ok I understand the software end, the contour layer is what you send to your plotter. However say the printed graphic is 5"x5" on a sheet of 10"x10" how do you align the printed film on your plotter so that the contour is not off centered? If the film is not exact, the contour could cut through the printed part. This is where the registration sensor comes into play to automatically align it correctly no matter where the film is load on the plotter. Thanks and sorry.

ChiknNutz

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you print the graphic, you create registration marks that you then line up with the cutter blade when you put it in the cutter.