• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Contracting logo

parkedcar

Just looking to get some input on this logo.
I'm getting mixed emotions as far as the effectiveness of the house.
What are your thoughts?

This might all be in vein too seeing as the customer wants a motocross sprocket, paintbrush and hammer incorporated in the logo.
Picture 5.jpg

Dan Antonelli

I like the lettering but the icon might be a little tough to discern at a distance.

I know you were going for balance, but the .com feels forced. The Michelson should sit right to the left of your initial C to eliminate the weird negative space.

parkedcar

Thanks Dan. You and Corinne think alike. She's the one who was concerned about the house, wether or not it could be deciphered right away. A few that I showed it to picked it up right away. I want contacting to stand out and if I make the whole house blue, it seems to be a little distracting. The .com doesn't have to stay, it was a bit of an after thought. And I'm not sure what you mean about the mickelson and contacting. You want to see it justified entirely to the left?
Thanks again!!

neato

I'm guessing Dan meant it should sit to the right, not the left. Like this maybe? I also agree with him on the .com. Here's an idea to solve it. It did feel a bit cramped.

Attachments

• MC.gif
    MC.gif
    31 KB · Views: 126

Dan Antonelli

Phillip got what I meant about moving it to the right of the capital C.

Maybe now use the area to the right of the name as a place for your house graphic.

Also I'd like to see the T and R connected and then notch out the horizontal crossstroke right below where there intersect.

Mosh

Like everything but the little part on the A. The kerning is off too, some letters look close and some look too spaced.

Last edited:

rjpjr

I like the lettering but the icon might be a little tough to discern at a distance.
I'm not easily making out a house from the
graphic portion of it so it's not really working for me.

I also really like the typeface, but as others have suggested and you suspected, the house is difficult to perceive. Perhaps moving the house away from the text... maybe a brush stroke??...

Attachments

• Mickelsen-Contracting.jpg
    Mickelsen-Contracting.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 89
  • Mickelsen-Contracting-2.jpg
    Mickelsen-Contracting-2.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 80

OldPaint

nice.........BUT as a draftsman, my 1st impression is that he BUILD CROOKED BUILDINGS))))))))))
with the slanted lettering, is the problem. does he "want" it slanted, or is that your solution to give the sign some "detail?" i did this with serpentine bold...
straight looks better..............

Attachments

• CONTRAT.jpg
    CONTRAT.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 106

parkedcar

Thanks every one for the awesome input!!! This really helps.
I wish I had a little more time to work on it this weekend but I've been busy. And I'm leaving early in the AM to install a wrap on a shuttle. I'll get back to it wednesdAy night I guess. Thanks again! And keep it coming.

Jillbeans

I think this is one of the times I agree with OP. The slant is too severe.
If you straightened it all up your little house might look more like a house.
I am not a huge fan of tarting up a letter till it looks like something else.
If the person has to think about something too long to decipher what it is, they will just move on to something new.
The client knows what it is because he (or you) wants it in there. But will anyone else?
RJ's first idea is a good one.
Love....Jill

TheSellOut

OP beat me to it but I agree with him that the slanted house looks like it is about ready to fall over and that might not be a good impression for a contractors logo to give off!

signgal

i like your improvements a lot and I was torn in the beginning cuz I really liked the roof portion of the house as the "A". I thought it was clever but I'm just a girl. The new ones are good, I prefer the bottom one... here's an idea for ya. Can you make the lines on either side of the first name stop a bit shorter and veer straight up to form the bottom portion of the house? Then you'd have to lengthen the roof, so I'm not sure how it will look but i think that would incorporate it and make it "erect" rather than "tilting". Just an idea...

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
It's an attractive logo but my gut reaction is the logo (typeface) is too wide with little option to break it apart and make it narrow for certain identity applications with making 'CONTRACTING' smaller and losing the rhythm of the layout.

Will the .com work on a business card once it's sized down?

TheSellOut

I had an idea but I'm not sure how well I pulled it off in the few minutes I had to play around, anyways you might be able to get a "M" out of a double peaked roof and a "C" out of the body of the house. just an Idea

Attachments

• Contracting.jpg
    Contracting.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 107