Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.


  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Contractors license in CA

Discussion in 'Hand Made Signs' started by Intense01, Sep 6, 2012.

  1. Intense01

    Intense01 Member

    May 2, 2011
    I had a customer of mine come to me and was looking for a 3D wood sign for their new restaurant. I am farming out the work and installation out to another local company but the client is paying me directly.

    Does anyone know if I need to have a contractors license to be able to sub out jobs to another company? I am not a licensed contractor. Does anyone have any experience with this?

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

  2. OlsonSigns601

    OlsonSigns601 Member

    Jul 23, 2011
    Outside of the country of California, I'm not sure.

    But in Illinois as backwards as we are, you get paid green, you pay someone else green, you get product, you give product, you get more green.

    We've got licensing if we are going to install signs, but that depends on the city.

    But a license to sub jobs to another sign shop? Unheard of but then again you live in a state that has odd likes like I do.

    For instance we may not have conceal and carry but at least we can have a mag with more than 10 in it.
  3. Rick

    Rick Certified Enneadecagon Designer

    Apr 17, 2003
    Valle Vista
    In California, if you took the order for a non-illuminated sign with installation that requires a contractors license, you must have your own contractors license to install or sub it out. Either a D-42 or C-45.

Share This Page