• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

contrary to popular belief...

Kwiksigns

wookie
YOU DON'T NEED PRIMER TO INSTALL A WRAP ON A CHEVY OR FORD WORK CAN. DAMNIT! STAHPPP it! I am sorry if this applies to you... but not really. 1 - a wrap usually lasts like... 3 years then they get it redone or take the vehicle out of line.... 75% of the time. STAHP using primer damnit! you are wasting both of our thyme. end rant.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
WHY??!?! why do i do removals.......

Care to expand on that ??

I don't get it ?? You're b!tching because you hafta do some work to remove something someone else did and the customer didn't go to them, but to you ?? How is that a problem ??

I hate it when people throw fish hooks in the air while it's raining expecting to catch something in the water. :banghead:

mesheau

Care to expand on that ??

I don't get it ?? You're b!tching because you hafta do some work to remove something someone else did and the customer didn't go to them, but to you ?? How is that a problem ??

I hate it when people throw fish hooks in the air while it's raining expecting to catch something in the water. :banghead:

I'm pretty sure what he's trying to say is that he doesn't like primer...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm pretty sure what he's trying to say is that he doesn't like primer...

I don't think so. Otherwise, he would've said that... instead of he hates to do wrap removals because of someone wasting his time with primer. He's a very confused person. Possibly pictures would help at this point. :wink: Anyway, it would help me, since I'm so easily confusable these days.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I was an early adopter of Primer 94 and over did it a little for the first year or so. Once you have to remove a vehicle with primer on it, you learn to use it only where necessary. Now I only use it on a couple of spots on Ford and Chevy vans.

The nightmare comes into play when someone over does it. I've seen primer put on with a 2" brush and/or painted on every edge. Removing all that adhesive sucks and I understand the frustration. Here's Jeremy Conner of Who Did That's nightmare as an example.

Kwiksigns

wookie
yes, i hate the primer. im not confused. i am not upset they came to me, and we do removals and reinstalls all the time. its purely labor. i just don't like doing it when im cleaning all this primer off of a every groove on a van.

gabagoo

How does one remove this primer? the usual assortment of weapons? ( alcohol, rapid remover, vinyl zapper) or do you need something special?

SolitaryT

Logic would dictate that charging by the hour for a removal project would cover your ***. If it's primed, it takes longer, and your profit/hour goes up, yes? I mean, it's a pain in the ***, sure, but unless you hosed yourself and charged a flat fee for removing any wrap that comes through the door (in which case, why limit your rant to primer when you can expand it to include trucks with rivets, big trucks, cars with a bunch of complex curves, etc?), you should be okay, right?

HulkSmash

I was an early adopter of Primer 94 and over did it a little for the first year or so. Once you have to remove a vehicle with primer on it, you learn to use it only where necessary. Now I only use it on a couple of spots on Ford and Chevy vans.

The nightmare comes into play when someone over does it. I've seen primer put on with a 2" brush and/or painted on every edge. Removing all that adhesive sucks and I understand the frustration. Here's Jeremy Conner of Who Did That's nightmare as an example.

We use 0 primer on ford/chevy vans.

I'm not seeing where you'd need it. We wrap into the wheel channels and have 0 lift age.

here's a video I made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr4kyfr487E

Bosh

Overbuilding

Primer is never "necessary", and makes removal a real drag. But I use it minimally and strategically anyhow. Why? Because I see it as equivalent to "overbuilding" a load bearing structure. We don't want bridges designed to support exactly as much weight as they're expected to hold. Does anyone really want to advertise "Easiest to remove wraps in town!"?

MikePro

+1, no primer here unless necessary. and it's rarely necessary.
if a surface is questionable, try applying a piece of vinyl to it - heat - cool - and try to remove, ezpz. usually, if the vinyl isn't sticking ...then you didn't clean it well.
...still, the last time i used primer was a few years back and before that years more. proper surface clean/prep is all you really need.

synergy_jim

0747b6dabed8b79f877e55f78c440802353d3cc45a872da612e554c5504baec8.jpg