• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

convert cj500 to solvent or go out of business?

tiredcreations

well not really out of business, just not print stuff.

I have a Roland CJ-500 that I bought used about 3 yrs ago. I knew nothing about printing or vinyl, and after getting it I found it was kind of old equipment in the sign industry.

I was talked out of converting it back then by... I can't remember who (probably the roland dealer):noway: ...but have been doing some reading & it sounds like a lot of you have done it.

A new machine is definately out of the question since I hardly use this one anyway. I currently am using it for vinyl & pattern making only, I outsource all of my printing (which isn't much). I've even entertained the thought of selling this & just getting a vinyl cutter.

After reading some posts it seems do-it-yourself conversions are getting more popular & its quite a bit cheaper.
Well, I'm always up for a new challenge, & I would love:loveya: to have printing capabilities... just looking for your 2 cents.

:thankyou:

The Solvent will be hard on the printer parts, and you will have issues with it. I suggest you sell it cheap and buy a SP300 (used) to "go cheap" and print most of your items without outsourcing...but, it's just my humble opinion.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
i converted a cj-500 and 2 fj-50's to eco-solvent

it's not that hard. there are plenty of threads about it here, try a search

you can do it for under $1000

CustomRide

kits for conversion of your printer can be bought here.....

http://www.solventprinterconversion.com/1solventkits.html

going this route gives you the benefit of getting some tech support when you buy the kit.

others have mentioned they've done it themselves for less. sounds like you've searched on here as well so it may come down to how much help you need to do it yourself.

Converted FJ's/CJ's are for suckers looking to get into wide format printing and don't know anything about it at all. We converted more than a handful of them...Dave is an expert at changing those things over too....however the target buyers are newbies. Dave is a great person but converted FJ's are too Shamwowy..... again nothing against Dave over there. People need to either say I have enough to buy the right printer or save up until you do bottom line.

You can pick up an SP300 or 540 for good prices these days and still get the print heads for $600 or so instead of the $900 Roland bumped up too if you do enough research.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
Converted FJ's/CJ's are for suckers looking to get into wide format printing and don't know anything about it at all.

count me as one of those 'suckers'....

$13,000 worth of work last week on two converted machine that i paid less than $9000 total for including the conversions.....

i guess it's how you make them work for you that counts!

tiredcreations

I have read a lot of threads on here about it, just wanting to get some input from people who have done it.

as I said, I'm not ready to buy an SP, but I'd be interested in hearing how a converted CJ holds up, just looking for opinions on who has done it I guess. I might end up a sucker too.

cleanmywound

If cash is tight convert it to eco-sol. Everyone who says to wait till you can spend more is crazy. They spent more on a printer to make the same type of money that you can on a converted printer. We have one converted and is still making a lot for us.

astro8

The first solvent machines with epson heads were just converted aqueous machines...mimaki and roland included.

I still have an antique I'm looking at right now...Mimaki Resolve 180B, printed thousands of metres of vinyl, banner, backlit. They put in some solvent resistant lines, a wiper and a couple of heater elements in a mimaki JV-2. The inklines have probably turned to solid by now.

I don't use it now as I've updated and have more machines, but it sure made us money.

So if that's the only way you can move forward, go for it...or wait around and around and around...

If you do convert a machine, make your own profiles, set up your rip, inksets, experiment, change heads, lines pumps, problem solve...you will get a good understanding of large format printing and colour hands on.

You won't be asking questions, you'll know what's going wrong or right.

All my large format printing these days is point and click. I have more trouble with my vinyl cutters.

Jim Doggett

Eco-sol seems the way to go, but do you need to add (maybe it comes with) a media preheater?

Just curious, since I don't own a printer. But converting seems like a pretty cool way to make money with a printer that might not otherwise.

joezeppii

I say convert it!!!
Either buy a kit from Dave @ solventprinterconversion.com or
send your machine to him and have him do it. I bought an fj50 upgraded and converted to an fj52 from him almost a year ago. It has already paid for itself and more....PLUS, either Dave or Kevin are more than willing to help you with any questions you may have.
Hey Dave, send me my $$$ for this glowing testimonial!!!!! hahahaha
Joe

schurms

With used printers out there I would just get something you can have profiles for. Printers are cheap, watch.........
Bruce

ddarlak

Go Bills!
but do you need to add (maybe it comes with) a media preheater?

pre and post heaters.

dave's method is a bit easier than mine, but i use this (part number 3540K41)

take the covers off, fabricate an aluminum channel to hold the heat element....

it is over kill, but with the right controller it works fine and it's only $45