• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Converting files

I have a graphtec CE3000-60 that I mostly use for crafts and a few small business signs. I've had a few people ask me to print graphics for them and I'm not really sure how to do that. Is there a way to convert a jpeg or gif file into an eps file so that my software will recognize it? I'm using VE LXi Expert.

I'm sure this is a pretty basic question, but I'm new and learning here and my tutorial that came with my software wasn't much help at all.

Thanks in advance for the help.

imaSIGNr

You must vectorize it first. You have that function with "expert",but it must be a clean image without a lot of fine complicated lines. Black and white works best. It will not work with gradation. I am not an expert. You'll get a much better answer here soon I'm sure.
I could be wrong, but I didn't think you could use LXi expert for printing anyway.

Replicator

Depending on the resolution and image size in general it may not be

necessary to vectorize the image . . .

Simply open the image in Corel or Illustrator and then save it as an EPS file !

Good Luck !

Ok...so I opened the file up in AI and saved it as an EPS file. Then I imported it into my LXi program. The image will import, but when I try to cut/plott the image, it only cuts out the box around the image...and not the image inside the box.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Replicator's reply probably confused you and would only be applicable if you were printing the image.

For vinyl cutting, vectors are a prerequisite. Every shape in the image must be defined by a vector at its edge and the image is usually quite different artistically when you are done. Ther eis rarely a simple solution for this and it is one of the most often brought up issues we deal with in graphics production.

Cut vinyl deals with solids and spot colors. Printed imagery does not suffer from the same limitations. But to get from a bitmapped image to a spot colr usually requires artistic recreating of the image and then hand or autotracing to the vectors needed for vinyl cutting.

Here's a link to a post
that illustrates what I'm talking about.

WOW...that process looks like it could take forever for just one design. I don't think people are going to want to pay me for how long it will take me to do all that work. Maybe someday I'll go that direction, but right now I'm a stay at home mom running a small craft business to supplement our income. I'll leave that hard work to all of you professionals. :)

Thanks so much for your help!

Mason

Replicator's reply probably confused you and would only be applicable if you were printing the image.

For vinyl cutting, vectors are a prerequisite. Every shape in the image must be defined by a vector at its edge and the image is usually quite different artistically when you are done. Ther eis rarely a simple solution for this and it is one of the most often brought up issues we deal with in graphics production.

Cut vinyl deals with solids and spot colors. Printed imagery does not suffer from the same limitations. But to get from a bitmapped image to a spot colr usually requires artistic recreating of the image and then hand or autotracing to the vectors needed for vinyl cutting.

Here's a link to a post
that illustrates what I'm talking about.

Clipping path in Illustrator.. Create one around the the perimeter of the image you wish to cut.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Clipping path in Illustrator.. Create one around the the perimeter of the image you wish to cut.

Again ... that assumes she has the ability to print and cut, which she does not. An examination of her equipment listing in her profile shows only a Graphtec plotter.

imaSIGNr

Get some vector clip art disks....or try to vectorize simple images . I would recommend vector clip art.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The confusion is understandable since she used the term print in her opening post. I think she is/was unaware of the distinction between printing and cutting.

I've seen that before ... too many times.