• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Converting fonts to curves problem

CES020

Using X3, I have a customer supplied PDF file and when I import it into Corel, it asks if I want to import the text as text or curves. I pick "curves", then the dialog box opens and tells me it's missing a fonts and wants to substitute it.

What gives? Any way around it?

I have Adobe Acrobat Pro and Illustrator. I opened it in Illustrator and it says I'm missing the font there to.

Any suggestions? I've never seen it request a font when you tell it to convert to curves. Did I do something wrong?

Fitch

Not so sure, but generally if you zoom... like really max... on the pdf and use the select tool and snapshot it to the clip board, then you can paste it into X3 and then trace it.

Hopes ya gits ma drift

cheers - G

CES020

It subs the missing fonts and then brings them all in as curves. So in this case, it converts it to Arial, imports it, and converts arial to curves.

There is no editable text on the imported file, all curves.

CES020

It's a huge mural I'm engraving in granite over 30+ pieces. I'd prefer not to have to trace anything unless I have to. I'll buy the missing fonts before I go that route.

Mosh

Hit cancel and sometimes, SOMETIMES the design just comes in. I have this happen too, no ideas why since some of the time there is not even text in the file.

Steve C.

What does it do when import the file anyway?

Yes. what. Did you open it? Sometime using corel, if I use a font then change
to another font, it will indicant a font is missing when importing even thou
that font was not used...make senced?

royster13

Maybe the fonts were not embedded in the file.....If they used fonts you do not have on your system you might have a problem....

CES020

If I open it in Corel, it does the same thing as if I try to import it. Hitting cancel doesn't work either.

When I look at the pdf document properties, fonts, it says it's an embedded subset.

I'll just buy the missing font and move on. I've got 40 hours of engraving to do on it, so it's not work the $29 to fight it all day.

Thanks for trying, I'll check back to see if there is a solution, in case it happens again some time.

Thanks again, I do appreciate the effort.

CES020

Got it. I opened Illustrator and "placed" it instead of opening it in Illustrator. It placed fine, I embedded it, saved it as an eps and imported that into Corel. Came across fine.

Thanks for throwing ideas out there, without them, I wouldn't have thought to try and place it in Illustrator.

WOOHOOO.....a happy ending...for a change :)

Steve C.

Have the client change the font to curve before he gives it to you.
Font venders have the option when creating fonts to disallow embedding.

weaselboogie

Another thing that can be done is to select everything thats not a bitmap and select arrange > convert to curve. This will change all of your fonts to curve before you begin to export.

J Hill Designs

or just use the advanced options in pdf converter (coreldraw) to auto convert on saving to pdf...thats what I do, cause I will always forget to convert them otherwise...

CentralSigns

The only way to do it is have the client send the file but with the font all ready converted to curves. I run into this problem quite often with pdf files. This always happens when the file isn't converted to curves to start with. Another solution is to have the client copy and paste the font file to a email. Then install it into windows for use in corel drawX3. Hope this helps.

CES020

I couldn't do that because I didn't create the artwork. It was supplied as a pdf and I was trying to import it. The creator of the artwork is unknown to me. It was supplied by a person that did not create it. A school had someone create it, then gave it to me to engrave in the granite tiles. My contact doesn't know who created it for the school and doesn't know anything about graphics. He's just the purchasing agent for the finished product.

We're all good now. It's engraving tiles as I type!

J Hill Designs

The only way to do it is have the client send the file but with the font all ready converted to curves. I run into this problem quite often with pdf files. This always happens when the file isn't converted to curves to start with. Another solution is to have the client copy and paste the font file to a email. Then install it into windows for use in corel drawX3. Hope this helps.

That is usually against font licenses

I-Style

Stop please don't print it, if the font is not embedded your comp is changing it without telling you to display it. when you place it you might place it with the wrong font.

Happy eastern

Frank

CES020

It's handling it correctly. I have a hard copy of the art work and what's engraving matches what's in the hard copy.

We're all good.