• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Converting vector clipart to cutter ready

agile4

Hi all,

I'm a newbie, so be gentle.

Is there a tutorial out there on how to convert clipart like Corel clipart, etc to make it ready for the cutter? I'd like to eventually learn to take a photo and turn it into a silohette(sp?)

I am primarily going to do one color until I learn to do multi's.

Tom

doublesky

Hmmmm.... are you trying to turn a bitmap into vector?
Sounds like you should read up on vector vs. bitmap images, and then try to learn the basics of corel or illustrator by getting a book (I love the illustrator WOW book). It's not that easy to convert a photo image into a cuttable image... unless you've studied vectorization.
If you have true corel clipart, which is vector, it should be cuttable as is though.

signage

Welcome to the forums from PA...

If the clip art is a vector you should be able to cut it! If it is Raster you will need to convert it to Vector or send it to the Vector Doctor to convert it for you!

OldPaint

ill be GENTLE......and say it this way, most of CORELS CLIPART IS VECTORS!!!!! .cmx, .cdr. is a VECTOR FORMAT, no need to convert.
doing a photo to a silohette................is best done in COREL TRACE or ADOBE STREAMLINE.

SAS

Don't know about a tutorial, I'm sure there is do a google search. You can start with auto-trace in Corel then start cleaning up the nodes on simple clip-art but photos are a hole different ball game.. I use eric @ vectordoctor.com he is better and faster then me.

gabagoo

What I want to know is ...who are the geniuses out there who make vectored clipart files that are never complete..ie shapes over shapes and same colour lines intersecting each other? Is that how they teach them in vector college?

While most of Corel's clipart is already vector clipart, much of it is not ready to cut. Most of the color clipart was designed for print, so it has many, many overcut lines. Best advice I can give on making Corel clipart ready to cut is ungroup the image, remove as much detail as you can do without, and then start welding the rest, so you wind up with a single color graphic that isn't too difficult to weed.

As far as making a photograph cut ready, that is a different operation, as mentioned above. It involves converting a bitmap image into vector lines and curves that a vinyl cutter can "read". There is a tool in Corel for this, again mentioned above. You can probably learn to do a simple silhouette pretty quickly, but more detail requires more time and practice.

OldPaint

that is mostly ILLISTRATOR built vectors. the way they work is layers, where as what you need to when you cut is a SINGLE LAYER, NO INTERSECTING LINES. some of corels clipart is this way, but not all of it.
i have ARTS & LETTERS EXPRESS and it does layers also.
good CUTTER READY CLIPART is usually available from places like fred & john deton...

signage

I have to agree on the advanced Artist DVD's and one other note look at the clip art in wire frame (view>wire frame).

agile4

Thanks for all the response. I am well versed in the differences between vector and raster based artwork.

I am still learning Corel and will play with trace some more.

I also need to better learn how the weld feature works as I always seem to have problems with it coming out the way I expect.

If you want to do a color design, do you use the color sep print feature to cut the different colors of vinyl?