• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

cool font find of the week

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No offense, but those aren't fonts. That's all garbage. Whether you're new to the industry or an ol' timer... that is truly some crude crapolla.

Flame

Long live Cattitudes!

lol

I kinda like those fonts. Dunno if I have $600 lying around right now for under 700 fonts, but.... kinda cool. Who would've figured there would be "church" fonts?

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Gino said:
No offense, but those aren't fonts. That's all garbage. Whether you're new to the industry or an ol' timer... that is truly some crude crapolla.

If you are looking for a brush look, or hand done look I think they are very appropriate.

To each his own.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
:Oops: Sorry, I probably shouldn’t have been so hasty. Other than the box that says ‘Feed the Fire’ those aren’t what I consider hand painted representations.

Like you said, ‘To each his own’, but I think, and I believe most hand painters here or anywhere, will agree that lettering off the brush usually doesn’t include things that look like they were scribbled with a crayon or magic marker.

Building letters with a brush, one stroking letters or calligraphy was usually creating perfect letters on a truck, billboard, shocard or any other substrate. Most hand letters worked and practiced hard developing their skills. I always laughed, that after I got good at the many hand-lettering styles, they came out with the computer to help me. Now here was a tool that could make everything absolutely perfect… every lower case ‘e’ or ‘a’ had the exact same stroke, every ‘s’ had the same swish to it. Wow, but in no time they started coming out with casual fonts and crazy fonts. Granted, they add some flare here and there for visual ‘effects’, but totally unneeded in good sign layout or design. Now that you have a tool that can make it perfect, everyone wants the tool to make it look like what we did when we weren’t good letterers. Bass-Ackwards, don’t you think ??
Now the new blood is coming along and they tend to like the ‘scribbled look’, it just goes against the grain to do a perfect job. Bands, church groups and lots of charity organizations seem to like that look… as if a child made it… so in that case, I give in and say, try it, you might like it.

Again sorry, I didn’t mean to be obstinate, just an old habit, hard to break. :thankyou:

Sign One

Bleck

No offense Eric, but I have a lot of free fonts that looks better than these......... OK maybe a few would be good for tee-shirt graphics or something, but I aint buyin'!

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
The Vector Doctor said:
If you are looking for a brush look, or hand done look I think they are very appropriate.

To each his own.

Brush look? Hand done? Only if you mean finger paint I should think. That is as large a collection of complete crap as I've ever encountered. Sail on god people, jesus might love you but I think you're a squad of inept doofi. If someone wants actual money for that dreck, they are also the custodians of a pair of watermelons.

I could do better blind drunk with my left hand using a Johnny Mop dipped in mayonnaise.

player

bob said:
Brush look? Hand done? Only if you mean finger paint I should think. That is as large a collection of complete crap as I've ever encountered. Sail on god people, jesus might love you but I think you're a squad of inept doofi. If someone wants actual money for that dreck, they are also the custodians of a pair of watermelons.

I could do better blind drunk with my left hand using a Johnny Mop dipped in mayonnaise.

I agree!

P

Flame

I know people who would want their stuff done in those fonts. Just cuz they're not one persons taste, doesn't mean they're not capable of selling. Sure they're not perfectly laid out. Duh. That's the whole point.

geb

Thanks for the link Erik, I love checking out the different type foundries I didn't know were out there. I wish more people would offer up links to type and foundries or add them in the links part of the site here.

Maybe it's not the favorite foundrie of some, but I'm sure someone will find good use of the type at some time down the road.

Thanks again Erik,

George

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
OK, OK. I didn't say they were beautiful. I do have a good taste for fonts. My favorites are from Fontfont, Font Bureau, House, Emigre, Jukebox. Just to name a few. I would be happy to show you some links to those.

I have seen fonts like those used for surf/skateboard companies, beachwear, anything with that style.

The fonts on that site fit a very unique and particular style. Brush - I meant some big ole sloppy one, not a fine quill, scripty style. I wouldn't use it on a brochure or a site sign, but there is a market for this look.

Flame

The Vector Doctor said:
I have seen fonts like those used for surf/skateboard companies, beachwear, anything with that style.

The fonts on that site fit a very unique and particular style. Brush - I meant some big ole sloppy one, not a fine quill, scripty style. I wouldn't use it on a brochure or a site sign, but there is a market for this look.

EXACTLY! Amen Brother!

lol