Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cool font find of the week

Discussion in 'Fonts and Typography' started by The Vector Doctor, Aug 3, 2006.

1. The Vector Doctor

The Vector Doctor Very Active Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    Tags:
  2. Shovelhead

Shovelhead Major Contributor

Dec 5, 2003
    Do you..........

get a sermon when ordering??

3. Whit

Whit Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Hope that "Save" button works !!!

4. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    No offense, but those aren't fonts. That's all garbage. Whether you're new to the industry or an ol' timer... that is truly some crude crapolla.

5. The Vector Doctor

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    Yeah, I'm not sure why the church/font relationship.

6. Flame

Flame Major Contributor

Apr 26, 2006
    Vancouver
    Long live Cattitudes!

lol

I kinda like those fonts. Dunno if I have $600 lying around right now for under 700 fonts, but.... kinda cool. Who would've figured there would be "church" fonts?

7. The Vector Doctor

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    If you are looking for a brush look, or hand done look I think they are very appropriate.

To each his own.

8. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    :Oops: Sorry, I probably shouldn’t have been so hasty. Other than the box that says ‘Feed the Fire’ those aren’t what I consider hand painted representations.

Like you said, ‘To each his own’, but I think, and I believe most hand painters here or anywhere, will agree that lettering off the brush usually doesn’t include things that look like they were scribbled with a crayon or magic marker.

Building letters with a brush, one stroking letters or calligraphy was usually creating perfect letters on a truck, billboard, shocard or any other substrate. Most hand letters worked and practiced hard developing their skills. I always laughed, that after I got good at the many hand-lettering styles, they came out with the computer to help me. Now here was a tool that could make everything absolutely perfect… every lower case ‘e’ or ‘a’ had the exact same stroke, every ‘s’ had the same swish to it. Wow, but in no time they started coming out with casual fonts and crazy fonts. Granted, they add some flare here and there for visual ‘effects’, but totally unneeded in good sign layout or design. Now that you have a tool that can make it perfect, everyone wants the tool to make it look like what we did when we weren’t good letterers. Bass-Ackwards, don’t you think ??
    Now the new blood is coming along and they tend to like the ‘scribbled look’, it just goes against the grain to do a perfect job. Bands, church groups and lots of charity organizations seem to like that look… as if a child made it… so in that case, I give in and say, try it, you might like it.

Again sorry, I didn’t mean to be obstinate, just an old habit, hard to break. :thankyou:

9. Sign One

Sign One Member

Apr 17, 2006
    Bleck

No offense Eric, but I have a lot of free fonts that looks better than these......... OK maybe a few would be good for tee-shirt graphics or something, but I aint buyin'!

10. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    Brush look? Hand done? Only if you mean finger paint I should think. That is as large a collection of complete crap as I've ever encountered. Sail on god people, jesus might love you but I think you're a squad of inept doofi. If someone wants actual money for that dreck, they are also the custodians of a pair of watermelons.

I could do better blind drunk with my left hand using a Johnny Mop dipped in mayonnaise.

11. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    I agree!

P

12. Flame

Flame Major Contributor

Apr 26, 2006
    Vancouver
    I know people who would want their stuff done in those fonts. Just cuz they're not one persons taste, doesn't mean they're not capable of selling. Sure they're not perfectly laid out. Duh. That's the whole point.

13. geb

geb Very Active Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Adirondacks
    Thanks for the link Erik, I love checking out the different type foundries I didn't know were out there. I wish more people would offer up links to type and foundries or add them in the links part of the site here.

Maybe it's not the favorite foundrie of some, but I'm sure someone will find good use of the type at some time down the road.

Thanks again Erik,

George

14. The Vector Doctor

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    OK, OK. I didn't say they were beautiful. I do have a good taste for fonts. My favorites are from Fontfont, Font Bureau, House, Emigre, Jukebox. Just to name a few. I would be happy to show you some links to those.

I have seen fonts like those used for surf/skateboard companies, beachwear, anything with that style.

The fonts on that site fit a very unique and particular style. Brush - I meant some big ole sloppy one, not a fine quill, scripty style. I wouldn't use it on a brochure or a site sign, but there is a market for this look.

15. Flame

Flame Major Contributor

Apr 26, 2006
    Vancouver

EXACTLY! Amen Brother!

lol