Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cool font site

Discussion in 'Fonts and Typography' started by BlueFishDesigns, Nov 17, 2010.

1. BlueFishDesigns

BlueFishDesigns Very Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Huntsville, AL
    I found this site today:
    www.blambot.com

They have some cool "comic book" type fonts. Some free, some pay.

Tags:
  2. fmg

fmg Very Active Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Thanks for posting.
    What amazes me is that I see a lot of these fonts available on the web at no charge.
    Then someone comes along lifts the fonts and sets up a website and charges mad prices for them.
    Surely this is illegal no?

3. The Vector Doctor

The Vector Doctor Very Active Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    You may have this backwards. Usually the fonts are offered for sale first. The free font sites that have commercial fonts on them have pirated them or renamed them in hopes of avoiding legal troubles

4. fmg

fmg Very Active Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Gotcha.
    Thanks for correcting me. I can never work it out what's going on with those free font sites.
    Thanks for the heads up.

5. Jim Doggett

Jim Doggett Very Active Member

Feb 17, 2008
    It's simple really. Lettering (our written language) is in the public domain. So you cannot copyright a font, only the name. (Helvetica for example.) Call Helvetica something different, such as Swiss, and you're legal and have no obligation whatsoever to the orginator of the Helvetica type style.

6. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    What happened was that the US Courts ruled in 1989 that a typeface could not be copyrighted because the western alphabet is in the public domain. Only the font name could be protectd under trademark law. This extended to all design aspects of a type style and threw open the doors for font piracy. Lots of bucks were made and several major foundries went bankrupt. lots of folks lost their jobs and careers.

Nine years later, Adobe finally got the legal principle established that font vectors were mathematical formulas and should receive protection under patent law.

What followed was a gradual and regular reclaiming of intellectual property rights by the foundries or the font designers.

In summary, the usual scenario is that the paid, commercial version came before the free, pirated version.

7. vinylbarry

vinylbarry Active Member

Jun 6, 2006
    Cool Site.

8. Farmboy

Farmboy Active Member

Feb 8, 2007
    Auburn, NY
    Excellent post Fred...Thanks

9. TheSellOut

TheSellOut Very Active Member

Feb 8, 2008
    :thumb:

10. michsanford

michsanford Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Gastonia, NC
    Awesome..thanks!!

11. phototec

phototec Very Active Member

May 23, 2008
    Belton
    More free fonts

Nice find, out of 108 fonts in the design font section, 61 are FREE, also one of the nicest layouts I have seen, breaking them down by styles and fee or free.

:goodpost: :thankyou: