• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Copper Leaf/Patina

Billct2

I searched for info on copper leaf, but they all seemed to be what to clear it with...my question is do you have to clear it? Wiil it oxidize to a nice patina the way sheet copper does?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you are using this outside, I think you have to clear it. Otherwise the tarnishing will take over and I don't think you can stop it in mid-process or reverse the oxidation.

It is generally necessary to apply a protective coat of sealer to prevent tarnishing and oxidation of the Copper Leaf. A sealer insures durability of the leaf. Specially formulated for use over genuine or metal leaf surfaces, Rolco's Acrylic Topcoat is a non-reactive, premium water clear sealer for genuine and metal leaf. Made from acrylic copolymers, Acrylic Topcoat provides protection from abrasion, water and ultra violet light. This solvent based sealer resists chemicals and may be applied by brush or spray. Available in Gloss and Satin finishes.

After you apply the clear, you can add a glaze that will achieve your 'Old World Charm' appearance.

Billct2

That's what I was wondering, if it can be left to tarnish, or if it goes "bad" instead of getting a patina.