Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

copper metallic paint

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by weaselboogie, May 22, 2012.

1. weaselboogie

weaselboogie Very Active Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Us
    I have a customer that I'm working with that is requesting copper metallic type of paint for longterm letters. Would be applied to aluminum. Hand brushed or automotive sprayed doesn't matter, but they're wanting longterm . I'm a bit stumped.

Tags:
  2. ProWraps

ProWraps Very Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    cut out of copper sheet and cleared and adhered for "long term".

or possibly a faux ano or powdercoat solution? they got some pretty amazing faux metal powdercoating now.

3. Forum Studio

Forum Studio New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Canada
    Dont use copper metalic paints for long term.Mix pearlescent copper mica http://www.crescentbronze.com/order_products/pearlescent in clear with some maroon colour for opacity.You can paint dark red-brown or black and top with clear with mica.For long term I use exterior latex colours with outdoor Varathane Diamond Finish.Brush,spray or roll.

4. Craig Sjoquist

Craig Sjoquist Major Contributor

Jun 18, 2004
    Orlando
    Agrees with Pro Wraps.. a lot depends on what brands you can get and willing to work with.

Ronan's Aquacote makes some awesome Metallica's

Do you have scenic or faux supply ?

5. SignosaurusRex

SignosaurusRex Major Contributor

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
    Copper...Long term, exterior.......Automotive paint is the only way to go. Dodge used a very nice copper metallic on pickups a few years ago. Anything else will eventually change color or tarnish even with a good clear coat.

6. insignia

insignia Very Active Member

Look at LuminOre and/or Sophisticated Finishes. I've never personally used LuminOre but I've seen it in action and it's very cool. Not cheap, but it's a great look. We used to use a lot of Sophisticated Finishes products and they always gave us good results. I've got some signs out using their bronze colors that still look new after 5+ years. Never used a copper from them so I can't say first hand how it looks or holds up though.

7. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Matthews had a nice copper. Haven't used in in quite a while though.

8. surf city

surf city Active Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Toms River, NJ
    Powdercoat them, I've done it several times.

9. CES020

CES020 Very Active Member

Oct 16, 2008
    VA
    House of Kolor makes a nice one too. It's also sold by some places ready to spray.

tcpglobal.com is one place that sells small amounts, ready to spray.

10. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    if you want longterm your talking of nothing but automotive, no ronan or one shot crap, simply put it would be the easiest. basecoat clearcoat or single stage would suffice

11. weaselboogie

weaselboogie Very Active Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Us
    Thanks for the options everyone!