Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copy Writing / Trade Mark Logos

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing, Pricing Etc.' started by Harry182, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Harry182

Harry182 New Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Devon
    Hi Guys.

After a bit of info/advice...

I See a lot of sellers selling sticker packs on eBay for Mountain Bike's, skateboards ect using logos from massive brands like Monster Energy, Red bull, Rockshox and so on...

How do they get away with it? or whats the way to do it correctly? It is something I've thought about getting into, but wouldn't want to put my self at risk. I Know the likely hood of getting caught is probably minimal, but theirs always that one example.

I Live in England

Cheers for the help

Tags:
  2. bannertime

bannertime Very Active Member

Sep 8, 2016
    No
    To do it correctly you'd need to contact the company's marketing or brand dept and get written permission to use their logos. You'll have to provide samples of finished products, pricing, etc. Most likely you'll be ignored from the start or told to not pursue it at all. Most of these companies already have manufactures that are licensed and produce this stuff in very high quantities. Or some companies may even pay for a license to use the logos. This even applies to things like Yeti and Real Tree camo patterns.

A lot of companies can get by simply because there's so many, you literally can't catch them all. Some companies like Disney have stopped pursuing a lot of the Etsy type stores, but I don't expect a business like Red Bull to stop any time soon.

3. Solventinkjet

Solventinkjet DIY Printer Fixing Guide

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Good info above. Just to add, a lot of companies will charge an upfront fee and then also take a hefty percentage as a royalty on everything you sell. I think Disney at some point was $30,000 just to talk to them and then they would take something like 45% of sales. Hardly worth it as a small shop or even mid sized shop. Plenty of people do it regardless of laws etc. The thing you need to figure out is if it's worth risking your business because if they do choose you to make an example they will put you out of business. I know sign shop owners who have had the Disney lawyers show up personally at their home. That being said, I also have customers who make almost their entire yearly salary on unlicensed Broncos and Rockies gear. The general rule of thumb is, if you didn't design it, it's not legal to make money off of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    yep what they said....it's one thing to do a one off for a customer, that usually can be gotten away with, but to be out there marketing on the web you will probably get caught. and depending on who catches you it could put you out of business and worse.

5. Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps Kentucky Wraps

Mar 6, 2009
    Bluegrass
    3 Reasons NOT to get "into" doing that stuff.

A) It's illegal without permission.
    B) There are TONS of people doing it with tiny cheap machines from their home or Mall Kiosk.
    C) ebay is Saturated by folks offering them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Don't mess with Red Bull or Harley-Davidson. They are relentless and have deep pockets.

7. oldgoatroper

oldgoatroper Roper of Goats. Old ones.

Jul 28, 2009
    Alberta
    Yep... I've heard that Harley-Davidson makes more from licensing their brand for merchandise than they do from manufacturing bikes, so they tend to keep a tight reign on that stuff... I've wondered just what FoMoCo had to pay to license the HD logo for their pickups. Same with International Trucks. No small change, I'm sure...