Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copyright Question

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Fred Weiss, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    In a currently running TV ad for the Samsung Galaxy smartphone, we are shown a line of people waiting to buy their latest iPhones when a couple of guys passing by bump their Galaxy phones together so one can give the other his playlist. Presumably that playlist contains music or other copyrighted material.

My question is: Is this action not a blatant violation of existing copyright laws or has some change occurred about which I am unaware?

Tags:
  2. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    is it sending the playlist or the actual files? if it's just the playlist, it should be perfectly fine

3. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    hmm i googled it and it says it 'transfers content' ...

not sure...

4. showcase 66

showcase 66 Very Active Member

Sep 23, 2010
    They also say in that ad, "see ya in the studio" which to me would suggest that it is either their music or music they were working on.

My wife and I had this conversation about a week ago.

5. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    I believe this is what so many here refer to as........... 'everyone else is doing it, so I won't get caught' mentality.

Of course this is in total violation of everything we all stand for in business, but it seems the majority rules and the heck with honest people.

I gave up DJ-ing Ballroom Dances for three reasons.

1. It was very time consuming and I didn't get paid my worth.... albeit I thoroughly enjoyed it and did it for that and not the monetary gain.
    2. People were cracking down on licensing problems and playing discs which you bought and paid for, but were required to pay royalties when re-playing them for dances.
    3. Last one was, I was told the organizations where we played were paying the royalty fees, and found out they said they were, but weren't, so they decided to take another route in answering the inquiries on how these things were being handled and we lost respect for how they handled it and didn't want to get caught in the middle.

6. Jim Doggett

Jim Doggett Very Active Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Nope. But it shows people doing what could be a copyright violation, but not necessarily. A play list merely calls to files already resident on the other phone, which may well be there legally.

7. synergy_jim

synergy_jim Very Active Member

Its like sharing a playlist on spottify. You are only sharing it with people who already pay for the music. You are simply giving them a file that organizes it in an order that you are using....

8. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    I understand that, and what I am pointing out is the impression the majority of viewers take away from it. That being that it is perfectly okay to give your recorded music away to anyone that wants it. Samsung, at the very least, should put up a fine print warning about not redistributing copyrighted materials.

9. mgcustomgraphics

mgcustomgraphics Member

Jul 18, 2012
    It clearly says, you can share files, we all know its easy to download music and all that illegally and save it on your computer phone etc, now weather you send illegal files or not i dont think they can control that, everyone is responsible for their actions, is like when you buy a car, it has the capabilities of going to mexico and smuggle drugs across the border but that doesnt mean you are going to do it, but if you do i dont think the car company has anything to do there.

10. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    IIRC this isn't new tech. A few years ago you could "share" tunes with a bud. I can't for the life of me remember the player, but it wasn't an iPod, and only required proximity to the other device. The shared file was only good for a set span of time before deleting itself.
    What is old has become new again.

11. ucmj22

ucmj22 Very Active Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I think it was the Microsoft Zune

12. Edna

Edna Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Gino you are talking about ASCAP, the writers want there cut every time a song is played for profitt. My band runs into this so we now only do original sopngs no more cover tunes for us.

13. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    I must be........ :iamwithstupid

14. CP Signs

CP Signs Member

Sep 15, 2012
    Stittsville
    Gino, I hear you. I had a DJ business for 25 years. Got so bad at the end with all the licences I gave up. I was also working full time, had no more time. Needed an AVLA licence, a SOCOM licence and on and on.

15. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    Edna PLEASE post a vid of your "band"......