• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

copywrite issues

Ken1f

I hate turning work away. Two times last week, first was an older Bass Tracker boat. Customer says that the graphics are no longer available and wants me to recreate. Today another wants the graphics and logo from an older Kawi Jet ski.

boxerbay

i doubt they will go after a one off job. if you mass produce them and set up a website selling them then probably yes. it has to be an evil enterprise.
i have done one off mercury boat engine decals because the factory ones are crappy and fade after about 2 years.

Stuckup

if Graphics are no longer available, the 1 off reproduction only goes to promote the original manufacturer, and as it is a solicited job, you are in no way stealing income from a patented owner. I do know of some after market suppliers recommended by original Suppliers.It is not illegal to manufacture a repair item, it is very very dubious to market Branded Items.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Same as boxer and stuckup here. We would never produce copyrighted works for someone to wrap their car, boat, banners, whatever, etc. But.... we will if requested reproduce factory decals to restore something to its original look. Somewhat of a grey area I guess but it's the sort of thing we only do for certain scenarios and boats, and outboard engines is probably the most common one for us to recreate to make it look new again. Of course we make sure to stay true to the original look and design and we use better than original materials.

OlsonSigns601

I had a guy stop in last year looking for tool decals for his truck because he was selling that brand of tools. Assuming he was the authorized retailer to sell such tools, I proceeded to give him a rendering of what this truck would look like, a price and my mistake a sample sticker of just how awesome the colors would look.

A few months later and not hearing back from the guy, I got a letter in the mail from a BS attorney asking for $1500 to settle the case out of court as I was soliciting the sale of their logo. They had a picture of the stickers I gave the guy.

Needless to say, we ignored it and nothing ever happened and they sent us a letter that they were going to dismiss the lawsuit because they didn't have substantial proof we were soliciting the sale of their logo.

Lesson Learned: Be Careful when printing logos.

visual800

Dude just go ahead and do it! Its a boat!

Attachments

• IMG_1852.jpg
    IMG_1852.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 136

boxerbay

I had a guy stop in last year looking for tool decals for his truck because he was selling that brand of tools. Assuming he was the authorized retailer to sell such tools, I proceeded to give him a rendering of what this truck would look like, a price and my mistake a sample sticker of just how awesome the colors would look.

A few months later and not hearing back from the guy, I got a letter in the mail from a BS attorney asking for $1500 to settle the case out of court as I was soliciting the sale of their logo. They had a picture of the stickers I gave the guy.

Needless to say, we ignored it and nothing ever happened and they sent us a letter that they were going to dismiss the lawsuit because they didn't have substantial proof we were soliciting the sale of their logo.

Lesson Learned: Be Careful when printing logos.

this sounds like an entrapment done by an ambulance chaser atty. he goes around from sign shop to sign shop trying to get something and then sends a letter to settle out of court. douchebags.