• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Core Plugs!!!!!!

Jim Hill

I have an SP-300 and the roll of vinyl seems to move around a little and I was wondering how others have fixed this problem.

I cut off the end of the plastic piece that comes in a new roll of vinyl and was trying to fabricate something that would slid into the ends of the vinyl rolls that I could then set the thump screws next to so that the roll of vinyl stays in one spot on the rollers.

Does anyone make something like this that I could purchase or is this an item that everyone kind of makes their own version of?

I am open to any ideas or even how you made yours would be a big help.

Thanks Jim :thankyou:

Bill43mx

I have an SP-300 and the roll of vinyl seems to move around a little and I was wondering how others have fixed this problem.

I cut off the end of the plastic piece that comes in a new roll of vinyl and was trying to fabricate something that would slid into the ends of the vinyl rolls that I could then set the thump screws next to so that the roll of vinyl stays in one spot on the rollers.

Does anyone make something like this that I could purchase or is this an item that everyone kind of makes their own version of?

I am open to any ideas or even how you made yours would be a big help.

Thanks Jim :thankyou:

Jim, Our SP300V came with just what you are looking for. I believe the "technical term" is media flange. (picture below) I've never found them listed anywhere as a separate item though. I'd like some spares as we switch media frequently so I've been eyeing these:
http://www.signwarehouse.com/CAA-LY-p-PLTA-GRC-FLANGE.html

They look like they just might work with the versacamm.

Attachments

• Media flange.jpg
    Media flange.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 66

Malkin

Extra's are pretty handy. We have 4 sets in total.
Although now I know I can get them a little cheaper....
:thumb:

Gene@mpls

I have never used these for my SP or VP rolands and never in 15 years
for my two Summa friction cutters. No tracking problems- less hassle.

Jim Hill

Gene

I also was not using the media flange holders but I think what is happening is that every once in a while I get a roll of vinyl that just won't track straight for some reason and once I started looking at the cardboard core the roll comes on it appears to be just a little different on each end in size which might be why the roll of vinyl is moving around.

Last night I went to my local home depot trying to find something I could either purchase or make that would work the same as the products that others mentioned.

After spending about an hour looking at PVC fittings and some electrical fittings it stuck me that the size I needed which was 3" in the same size as a sink drain strainer would be so I went and looked a stainless steel sink strain drainers and I purchased two of them for a grand total of around $4.00 dollars and took them back to the shop for a test run.

Because the cardboard core that the vinyl comes on is a little different size on each end I cut a piece of duck tape about 10" long and then cut that into three strips about a 1/2" wide and rapped it around the flange which is tapered it fit in just fine.

Another interesting think about using this stainless steel strainer in that it has a flange around it which makes it great for putting the retainer up against with the thump screws.

Today I have been using the printer and so far everything works great.

One other thing is the strainer comes with a rubber piece that I just pulled off and discarded.

Thanks to everyone for their response.

Jim Hill

Jim Hill

Update

So far the idea of using a stainless steel strainer in the ends of the rolls of vinyl is working just fine and my tracking problems seem to be fixed.

The great part is the total bill was about $4.00 dollars and a few strips of duck tape.

Jim Hill

Jim Hill

What Photo!!!!!!!!!

You want me to show you a photo of a stainless steel strainer in the end of a roll of vinyl?

Jim Hill

Jim Hill

OK

I will charge up the camera and take a shot and post it within the next few days.

I really thought you were kidding that you wanted to see a photo of a stainless steel strainer in each end of my roll of vinyl but I will do it just to show you what it look like.

Jim

Jim Hill

Here is the image of the stainless steel 3" strainer I used in each end of the tube that holds the vinyl.

I also used a few 1/2" duck tape strips that I put just below the top of the strainer. I did this because each end of the cardboard tube was a little different.

The vinyl is now tracking perfect now and the total cost of 2 strainers was about $4.00 dollars and some duck tape to fix the problem.

Jim Hill

2qsee.jpg
[/IMG]

Jim Hill

Let me try this again!!!!!!!

This is the image that I tried to post.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks Jim

karting17

Bill43mx

I was waiting for a photo too! I couldn't figure out how the strainer could ride on the rollers like the Roland flanges do. Now I get it, they just give you a consistent surface up against the ring. That's a nice idea but I don't like to put the media print surface directly on the rollers so I prefer the flanges.

Bill43mx

Just a quick follow up on this topic. I decided to gamble the $29 on the set from sign warehouse rather than go with the $30 plus each ones from Roland. Just received them yesterday and am happy to say they do the job nicely. The flange portion on them isn't as robust as the Roland version so I don't know that they would hold up to 54" rolls of banner material but we intend to use them for the small rolls of specialty vinyl that get swapped in and out frequently. For that use they seem perfect.
http://www.signwarehouse.com/CAA-LY-p-PLTA-GRC-FLANGE.html

phototec

I think you could use 3" SCH 80 PVC flanges?

I have not done this, looks like they will work, I will have to measure one to see if it will work for sure. They can be purchased at any electrical supply house.

:help

Attachments

• Flange - SCH 80.jpg
    Flange - SCH 80.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 64

Jim Hill

Interesting Idea

I must admit the only place I really looked for something that would fit into the 3" tube was at Home Depot.

I went through the electrical, plumbing, and a few other departments until I found myself standing there thinking about what would have a 3" circle and that's when the idea of a sink strainer hit me.

It even has a tapered shaft which helps it fit better since at least on my roll of vinyl each end was a little bit different which I believe is part of the reason it was not tracking straight. There is also a flange around it which helps.

I have used other rolls of vinyl that did not have this problem so I think it might depend on that inter cardboard tube the vinyl is installed on.

Since I installed this I have not had any more problems with tracking and within the next few day's I have to install another new roll of vinyl and I want to measure the cardboard tube to see if this one is also a little different from end to end.

Jim Hill